Reprofiling and Etching

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreu

Reaction score
I figured to share my latest work and to get some constructive criticism (things that I may have missed, things I can improve on, etc.). I reprofiled the knife since it was not working for me. It doesn’t have enough flat spot and the knife had a continuous curve causing accordion cuts. Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/JVoH4

Nice work Andreu. I couldn’t really tell in the pic but did you leave a little relief at the heel or is it dead flat? The etch looks great...is that a jamon I see?!? Lol :razz:

Nice work Andreu. I couldn’t really tell in the pic but did you leave a little relief at the heel or is it dead flat? The etch looks great...is that a jamon I see?!? Lol :razz:

Thanks, doc! Yes, I left a small portion at the heel as a relief. I didn’t want the knife to stop abruptly on the board. I see what you did there with the hamon. But a jamon nonetheless. 😂

I’ll PM you later on tonight, MrHiggins.

Wow! That turned out great. Good job, sir!

I wish it was talent. All I did was buff out the knife, soak it in acid, and buff it again. Chemical etching makes you look like you know what you're doing.

Sorry if I’m thread-jacking, but on a somewhat related note. Does anyone know which steeels will etch and which will not?

Initially I thought it was pretty easy - all carbon steels will etch and stainless will not. That, however, is not true. Whereas I’ve yet to expirience a carbon steel that will not etch, some stainless will and others won’t - i.e. r2/SG2 will take very well to etching but the semi-stainlesse steel in the Itinomonn StainLess line will not, or, at least, only very little (I am talking ferric chloride etch here). Does anyone know the chemical explanation of this?

Thats The Ikazuchi, right? Look's awesome! I'd love to hear your process on this. My friend has a belt grinder and I'd love to make mine a flatter knife.

Thats The Ikazuchi, right? Look's awesome! I'd love to hear your process on this. My friend has a belt grinder and I'd love to make mine a flatter knife.

Yes, that is the Ikazuchi. No belt grinder used on this. Just breadknifed it on an Atoma 140 then thinned and sharpened it.

The face could use some extra polishing to make three kanji pop. Edge could be slightly thinner. I give it a C-.

4:1 ratio..water:ferric chloride

So a 20% solution, or what is the concentration of the ferric chloride you use? I feel like this is something I should be sure of before trying it out. It looks amazing.

I assume it won't work on iron clad knives?

So a 20% solution, or what is the concentration of the ferric chloride you use? I feel like this is something I should be sure of before trying it out. It looks amazing.

I assume it won't work on iron clad knives?

I’m not sure what the concentration of the FeCl is but it is by MG Chemicals which I bought from Fry’s electronics. It is used for PCB.

I haven’t tried it on a iron clad but used it on a Mizuno Suminigashi.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, where would one go about buying some ferric chloride?

Back