Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miguelitoangelito

Reaction score
Hi there!

To all knife enthusiasts, knife gurus, knife smiths, chefs and line cooks. I would like to ask your opinions on sharpening a misono 440 gyuto. All opinions are welcome. Thanks guys! Looking forward to hear from the masters of sharpening . Cheers!

Welcome!

What kind of sharpening equipment do you have on hand? That could help us in giving you some advice. The Misono 440 steel is generally pretty easy to sharpen. Personally I would take it up to 2k grit (or similar) I'm sure others will chime in.

Hello Sir!

As of now I have a beston 500, kikuchi 1000, masahiro 6000 and a kitayama 8000. I can sharpen it a bit Sir, but the thing is, a couple of days of abuse it gets dull again. I saw some videos on youtube, and the say you should only sharpen your knives once a month or thats not true at all? Should I sharpen it every once in a while or every weekends? Is it my sharpening angle? Or its it the steel composition of the blade Sir?

Welcome!

What do you consider abuse? Are you in a home or pro environment? Time spent between sharpening is a direct result of use, relative to the edge retention of each individual knife of course. You also might be having some wire edge issues.

Hello there!

I was working before as linecook at Abc Cocina by Jean Georges in Newyork. I always try to sharpen it every weekend and then after 2-3 days it gets dull again. Is it because I sharpen it at an acute angle? Or is it really the quality of the steel tha misono uses that it cant retain its edge? When you say wire edge, does that refer to the burr? Or is it a completely different thing?

Back