• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB inexpensive coarse synth stone (200-300ish grit)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonedEdge

Banned
Reaction score
Hello KKF,

I am in search of a rather inexpensive coarse synthetic stone, something like a 220 pink brick or Bester..or even a used JNS300 but would be open to any quality brand and model that doesn't dish too quickly.

I am located in Canada and would like to keep it under $100.

Show me what you got!
Many thanks

Good idea.

But my experience with King coarse stones is that they dish extremely quickly. Do you have any experience with the King 300? I personally have never used one.

Good idea.

But my experience with King coarse stones is that they dish extremely quickly. Do you have any experience with the King 300? I personally have never used one.

I have one. It wears quite a bit slower than the King 1000, but keep in mind that all coarse stones will need frequent flattening. Perhaps an Atoma 400 might be a better choice if dishing is an issue?

I have one. It wears quite a bit slower than the King 1000, but keep in mind that all coarse stones will need frequent flattening. Perhaps an Atoma 400 might be a better choice if dishing is an issue?

I agree with Pensacola Tiger. The Atoma 400 is a good course stone that when used with proper pressure will create a burr pretty quickly without scratching up your knives too much. If you aren't a diamond plate fan, the Cerax 320 is also good, but that stone can dish quickly

I've been shopping for a coarse stone as well.

330 sells the Naniwa Superstone 20mm for aprox $55 cad, Metalmaster sells the Atoma400 for aprox $90 cad.

I hear that the Atoma will last longer, wont dish, and can be used as a lapping stone, sonit maybe worth the extra money. Im still trying to decide myself

I agree the atoma400 could be a good way to combine a lapping stone and a coarse stone in 1 purchase...but I don't know how I feel about using a diamond plate as a sharpening stone...never done that before, how similar is it to using a hard coarse water stone?

Update: The King 300 that I ordered from the Amazon site on Jan.17th just arrived today on Feb.17th safe and sound,packaged very secure with a nice thank you card inside. I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks and feels like it will be what the doctor ordered.

Thanks Grunt! is it a grey stone? Just to make sure we're thinking of the same King 300?

Thanks Grunt! is it a grey stone? Just to make sure we're thinking of the same King 300?

Yes it is.It is a grey stone. Lots of mass to it too so it should last a good deal.I might give it a work out tomorrow to see what it is like.I am pretty sure I am going to like it though.

Back