Single bevel petty/ short yanagiba recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomsdotcom

Reaction score
Looking for a short single bevel. Questions answered below. I appreciate all responses, thanks kkf
-Kevin

KNIFE TYPE
Single bevel petty

right handed

Wa handle preferred

Looking for around 180mm ideally under 210 as it would be a line knife in a cramped kitchen

High Carbon ideally

I'd like to keep it under $300 but I'm flexible

KNIFE USE
Pro environment

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for:
Slicing veg, raw fish (crudo/ tartar), spice crusted tuna

Not replacing any knife, just in addition to a gyuto nakiri rotation

Do you have a particular grip:
Pinch, agressive pinch, finger point

Fit and finish/ general aesthetics are of the least relevance to me. Steel/grind and profile are most important IMO.

Looking hard at the
Gesshin Ittetsu wondering if there are any other options
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...80mm-white-2-hon-kasumi-single-bevel-wa-petty

I have stones (gesshin 2k 6k combo and an Aiiwatani) would ideally be learning single bevel sharpening (eventually polishing)this knife as well. This also makes the Gesshin a nice option for me since I can have Jon do the initial sharpening

I've heard great things about the Ittetsu. :)
Thanks for the input :) I feel like everything Jon carries is a pretty good bet. Wondering if I'm missing any other options

Only other thought I've had, is asking Watanabe to make me something, I've heard good things about his larger single bevels.

cant help you on the rec cause i dont do single bevs, just curious what youre going to be using this for?
I'd really love it to bridge the gap between a suji and a 210 gyuto. If I could bring a Nakiri, a 240 or 270 gyuto, and a single bevel petty for detail work (and raw protein slicing) I'd be very happy. I don't think this is a necessity, I'd just like to play with that setup.
I've got a petty from Dave Martell in the works that might supercede the need for the single bevel petty altogether, but I thought I might experiment with it in the meantime. Also the appeal of learning single bevel sharpening has a large pull for me.

Watanabe made one for me with an ebony handle. IRC, about $400, so a bit out of your range but it is a nice knife and he has no problem going with whatever specs you want. You are likely to be happy with anything from him.

I've heard great things about the Ittetsu. :)

Yeah, (also) from me. I LOVE mine. If that is the size you want just go for it. The only other way to get a similar knife is custom order from Japan (through some vendor), but why - Jon has 3 available at the moment. I was waiting for mine for almost a year. I love to use mine to mince smaller pieces of meats, trim silverskin, etc. F&F is excellent too.

I recently had an opportunity to borrow a Tanaka 210 SB Yani for a little bit. Carbon, probably blue, liked it a lot. Did a quicky google for availability but did not see one - perhaps your google-fu is better.

I recently had an opportunity to borrow a Tanaka 210 SB Yani for a little bit. Carbon, probably blue, liked it a lot. Did a quicky google for availability but did not see one - perhaps your google-fu is better.

I'm not at a computer but pretty sure you can get one on eBay on the cheap.

Pulled the trigger on the Gesshin. Figured I'd treat myself as a reward for heading back to working in better kitchens. Thanks for all the input guys!

I wrote a note about initial sharpening during checkout, guessing that's all I needed to do? Or should I shoot him an email too?

He'll likely see the note but I'd personally call to be on the safe side. He may not see the email until after he ships the 🔪.

Haha Jon was quick to call me, excellent service and forum lurking skills obviously!

Did you get the 180mm Gesshin Ittetsu W2 SB wa petty? Noticed you cut crusted Tuna. Used to cut a lot of nori wrapped fine panko crusted Ahi.

Used a small thin carbon sugi, switched to a small 210mm white steel yanagi. It worked well that SB white steel gets sooo sharp cuts clean through panko, nori , and ahi tuna.

Did you get the 180mm Gesshin Ittetsu W2 SB wa petty? Noticed you cut crusted Tuna. Used to cut a lot of nori wrapped fine panko crusted Ahi.

Used a small thin carbon sugi, switched to a small 210mm white steel yanagi. It worked well that SB white steel gets sooo sharp cuts clean through panko, nori , and ahi tuna.
Yeah I did. It'd actually one of the main tasks I was looking forward to using it on. The way we did it last time was a furikake crust, I wonder how different panko would act...

Sorry I haven't updated, busy with the new job, and slightly less new girlfriend ;]

I've only put it through its paces on raw Hamachi and Bigeye. Exceeded expectations in that regard, but I haven't used it for any other tasks yet. Finishing and Kasumi on the blade look great on arrival, there is one small hiccup on the transition from handle to feurle but it's not noticable in use. Choil has the nicest relief of any knife I've used.
I know that this write up is lacking in photos... I will try to take some this upcoming week, since we actually have some springtime sun in the NW!

I am glad you like it. Just looking at the ura tells you how well it is done. Urasuki is even along the whole blade. Mine is the same. Simply a well made knife. Enjoy it!

I am glad you like it. Just looking at the ura tells you how well it is done. Urasuki is even along the whole blade. Mine is the same. Simply a well made knife. Enjoy it!
Thanks :) we have a sliced lamb leg dish on the menu now... so I'm looking forward to some fun patina soon!

Latest posts

Back