Looking for middle-heavy weight gyuto that’s thin behind the edge??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac36555

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking for some options of a middle-heavy or heavyweight gyuto that still thin behind the edge. I’m a lefty, so I’m interested in a 50/50 grind, mainly pinch grip, mostly a push cutter. I’m open to stainless, stainless clad, of semi-stainless with a Japanese handle. Plan on using it for bigger/harder veggies. Budget is up to $300 and I’m open to a 210 and 240. Most of the talk around here is about lighter/lasers. Anyways, give me some ideas....

Mazaki.... There is a post today about them.

Syousin Suminigashi
Tanaka nashiji ginsan and B2
Tanaka damascus B2
Wakui W2 kasumi

I own all of them in 240 size and all weigh around 205-210g which puts them firmly in the middleweight division. All are thin behind the edge performance cutters that won't wedge.

All can be found at K&S which is a sensational vendor.

Maybe a Kurosaki R2 gyuto would fit this bill? They're quite sturdy.

Even with a so-called 50/50 edge, the asymmetric grind remains and is not favourable to the left-handed, especially with a middle- or heavy-weight. An inverted geometry -- left face convex, right one flatter, edge off-centered to the right -- might be interesting. With Misono and Masahiro they are quite affordable.

LmDkoGl.jpg

Some middle-heavy weights—the Kochi (far right) which is great, is very thin behind the edge and is more of a middle weight

Though not stainless, have you considered going carbon—second from left is a 240 Watanabe, which is very good "middle-heavy weight" in my opinion.

I own a Kochi 210 kurochi. Fantastic middle-weight knife. Thin behind the edge and is easy to sharpen. Highly recommended.

(I've never tried the stainless clad one, but if it's similar, it'll be awesome).

OP, do you have an idea of the weight you would like your next knife to be? Middle-heavyweight can be pretty interpretational. There’s so much to choose from already, I could help you narrow down your search a bit if you have detailed preferences.

I try not to recommend Goko all the time. But here, I say it matches the question well.

Try to find a used Toyama, you won't regret it.

OP, do you have an idea of the weight you would like your next knife to be? Middle-heavyweight can be pretty interpretational. There’s so much to choose from already, I could help you narrow down your search a bit if you have detailed preferences.

Not an ideal weight, but but definitely something that can get through large/hard veggies with ease like squash and such. I already have a medium weight 210 with my Gesshin Uraku and enjoy it as an all arounder/first time J-knife, but I soon realized that if you want performance, you have to get more specific blades. I’ve already got a lightweight/lazer picked out, now focusing on a heavyweight for bigger product

I would not call Toyama middleweight, but it is a great knife. If you go that route get the 210. The 240 feelt 'bigger' ina hand than any other 240 gyuto I have used. The reason is that it has center of mass rather far away from the heel - it is also a very tall knife. Toyama is one of those knives I find profit from heavier handles than the standard magnolia ones.

LmDkoGl.jpg

Some middle-heavy weights—the Kochi (far right) which is great, is very thin behind the edge and is more of a middle weight

Though not stainless, have you considered going carbon—second from left is a 240 Watanabe, which is very good "middle-heavy weight" in my opinion.

What are all of the knives that you posted in the pic?

I’m really interested in the Masakage Koishi 240. Seems like a medium-heavyweight that’s still thin behind the edge, has high edge retention with the Aogami Super, and is stainless clad. Would you guys recommend this knife?

I’m really interested in the Masakage Koishi 240. Seems like a medium-heavyweight that’s still thin behind the edge, has high edge retention with the Aogami Super, and is stainless clad. Would you guys recommend this knife?

Feels pretty light in hand IMO, but if the weight is what you’re looking for go for it. Also, you could try talking to Jon about his kintaro line.

Feels pretty light in hand IMO, but if the weight is what you’re looking for go for it. Also, you could try talking to Jon about his kintaro line.

I’ve never held one, so I don’t know. I’m looking for a heavier blade that can get through squash and bigger/harder items.

I'm curious, can anyone say what the weight for a heavyweight or middleweight 240mm gyuto should be?

light 150g, middle 200g, heavy 250g
Give or take, but sounds about rightg. Position of the center of mass plays also role in what user may find 'light' or 'heavy'. A knife like a Munetoshi or Toyama may feel heavier than a knife with the same weight, but with western handle and the center of mass somewhere around the bolster.

light 150g, middle 200g, heavy 250g

Yeah I mentioned this earlier. Pretty interpretational stuff here.

Give or take, but sounds about rightg. Position of the center of mass plays also role in what user may find 'light' or 'heavy'. A knife like a Munetoshi or Toyama may feel heavier than a knife with the same weight, but with western handle and the center of mass somewhere around the bolster.

Thanks!

Back