Blonde horn roll. US group buy.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey folks. this is a continuation from this thread here. for more information on the product itself please read over a very in depth review Matus has kindly made of these rolls. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/35964-Source-for-a-blond-buffalo-horn-rolls-found

I have offered to be the lead for a US bulk buy of these blonde rolls. We will collectively be purchasing 35mm wide, 100mm long rolls in a combination of streaked and blonde. Matus has gotten a quote at $10 a roll, I will ask for the same price quote. I will need payment before I send money to our Indian contact.

Here is how payment will break down.
-Please send me how many pieces you want. the price will be $10 a roll. Also specify what color style you want. I will do my best to accommodate what everyone wants but ultimately it seems we get what we get.
-Shipping cost from India will be split evenly by the number of participants, regardless of how many you order.
-U.S. shipping (from me to you) will most likely be $7 for flat rate USPS. $12 if you order a ton.

I will keep this thread open for ONE week while I get in contact with the seller. Any info I receive I'll do my best to keep everyone in the loop of whats going on. Please post here or PM me the number and style of rolls you want. At the end of the week I will close the thread and send a final order amount to the seller.

Once everything is cleared and our seller is ready for payment, I will ask all of you to paypal me your amount due (total amount calculated above). Then i can pay him a lump sum, and it will be a waiting game from there. Hope this makes sense to all of you, any questions feel free to post. We are all in this together!

Count me in for 10 rolls, 5 blonde with minimal or no streaking and 5 with black streaking roughly 50/50.

I'm in for 5, 3 streaked and 2 blonde. thanks for doing this man!

not bad for the first night, I'll periodically post this list for you all to keep up. please PM me for any changes, at the end of the week this list will be final.

tedg - 8 50/50
dwalker - 5 50/50
pete84 - 4 50/50
apicius9 - 20 all streaked
barclid - 10 50/50
Ivang - 5 3 streak 2 blonde
gic - 10 50/50

I'll take 10 please!

8 streaked (mix of light & dark...if possible)

2 blond

Thanks Danzo for taking the lead on this! :doublethumbsup:

Sounds good, thanks from all of us for the trouble.

I have made first contact with the horn supplier. English skills are quite good, and he is very eager to sell. I told him we will be ready for an order in a week or so after we get a final count and I receive payment from you all. Here are some photos he sent me, I will make sure to send him a comprehensive list of what styles everyone wants and I'll do my best to pick through them when I get them all.

1zbuyoj.jpg

s2eblh.jpg

here is an updated list or everyones order so far, pretty good for day 2. obviously STR is streaked, BLD is blonde, BLK is black:
tedg - 8 - 4 str 4 bld
dwalker - 5 - 3 str 2 bld
pete84 - 4 - 2 str 2 bld
apicius9 - 20 - all streaked
barclid - 10 - 5 str 5 bld
Ivang - 5 - 3 str 2 bld
gic - 10 - 5 bld 5 str
miles - 6 - 3 str 3 bld
HHH Knives - 8 - 2 blk 2 bld 4 str
Dave Martell -10 - 8 str 2 bld
Phip -5 - 4 str 1 bld

Ideally I'd like the blondes for me to have fairly good clarity, not too muddy looking and nice contrast for the streaked ones. Like the bottom most streaked one in the second photo he sent.

I also understand the issues when dealing with natural materials though. Just wanted to clarify what I'm personally looking for. I appreciate you taking the initiative on this.

Great, I like that everyone is being specific. And I’ll clarify with the seller about what we want. And I’ll try my best to evenly divide the “best ones.” But I just want to urge that ultimately we get what we get guys. Like Matus had posted there will certainly be imperfections and as a group we have to accept them.

Of course, I understand. I'm not expecting every piece to be perfect by any means. But I don't think it hurts to be specific. Thanks again.

Alright f$#@ it I'll take 6 pieces.
2 black
2 pure blonde
2 streaked

Well I've done all the knives I own that I care to do but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some for the future.

I’ll take 7 blonde and 7 streaked please.

Hoss

An updated list for you all. And welcome to our new partners.

tedg - 8 -4 str 4 bld
dwalker - 5 -3 str 2 bld
pete84 - 4 -2 str 2 bld
apicius9 - 20 -all streaked
barclid - 10 -5 str 5 bld
Ivang - 5 -3 str 2 bld
gic - 10 -5 str 5 bld
miles - 6 -3 str 3 bld
HHH Knives - 8 -2 blk 2 bld 4 str
Dave Martell -10 -8 str 2 bld
Phip -5 -4 str 1 bld
tgfencer -5 -4 str 1 bld
ThEoRy - 6 -2 blk 2 bld 2 str
DevinT -14 -7 str 7 bld
BJE1 -10 -5 str 5 bld

alright guys, seems like orders are slowing down for now. What i need from all of you now are paypal addresses. Just so i can start collecting emails to send out requests once ordering is officially closed, so please PM me your paypals. Once the order is officially closed on friday I will need payment within 5 days, by end of day wednesday the 28th. I don't intend to be mean, i just want to expedite this process for everyone. So please be alert and aware within the next week, if you miss out on sending payment, you miss out on this opportunity. Sorry but i can't afford to front anyone, and we can't let one or two peoples slow us down.

tedg - 8 -4 str 4 bld
dwalker - 5 -3 str 2 bld
pete84 - 4 -2 str 2 bld
apicius9 - 20 -all streaked
barclid - 10 -5 str 5 bld
Ivang - 5 -3 str 2 bld
gic - 10 -5 bld 5 str
miles - 6 -3 str 3 bld
HHH Knives - 8 -2 blk 2 bld 4 str
Dave Martell -10 -8 str 2 bld
Phip -8 -1 str 7 bld
tgfencer -5 -4 str 1 bld
ThEoRy - 6 -2 blk 2 bld 2 str
DevinT -14 -7 str 7 bld
BJE1 -10 -5 str 5 bld
PappaG -3 -1 blk 1 bld 1 str
Acousticawareness - 5 -4 str - a bld

I still need PP addresses from the following:
tedg
apicius9
Ivang
gic
miles
Phip
DevinT
BJE1

I've reached out to those via PM to those who i still need PP addresses from. gic, you're on the list but i can't seem to find you, please reach out to me.

Waiting for a few more email addresses still. Friday/saturaday i will start sending out invoices.

Also an update on the cost of this whole transaction. I have been informed from the seller that shipping from India to US will be substantial. "delivery upto your country it will cost you (16USD/KG),as your required size that is (100×30) so in this size 100 pieces weights around 11Kg " With all of our orders we are looking at roughly 17kg @ $16 per kg putting us at a whopping $272. that total divided by our current 19 participants puts us at $14.31 a piece.

I've also done some measuring and it seems i can get 6 rolls in a small flat rate box, anything more will be in a medium flat rate box.

So each individuals cost will be 14.31 + either 7.20 or 13.65 + (10x the # of rolls purchased.)
these numbers will be subject to change based on if people flake out or not. If you need to back out please do so ASAP so we can get more solid figures for those of us who stay.

Purchasing is closed! All participants expect PayPal invoices tomorrow. Prices will reflect details listed in post above. You’ll have 5 days to pay the invoice!

Back