What makes a comfortable apron?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
This might seem crazy to some, but I feel that aprons can really be distracting and even cause back & neck pain. I'm now working in a kitchen were I bring my own apron and I need to get one or two more. Thoughts on styles or tips for what makes them more comfortable?

So far I only wear collared shirts (gets the weight of my neck), don't weigh down the waist tie with lots of towels, try to find one that fits my size.

I just heard of cross back aprons which look like they could be comfortable (but maybe not?)

What do y'all recommend?

Gotta have pockets. I would like to like a nice apron but have not found one I felt worth owning. My preferred is the $10 Chefwear bib with a pen / thermo pocket and two others.

Definitely crossbacks. It took me the longest time to go from bib to cross back because I thought they looked stupid. But they are so comfortable not having to deal with the next strap. Only thing is putting it on and taking it off is a hassle

I couldn’t imagine getting home every night and throwing an apron in the washing machine and dryer to be ready for the next day. Might as well find an inexpensive apron that suits your needs and grab several.

Yeah I have like a dozen of those.

I had mine custom sewn .. via etsy and had pockets sewn .. double layer to put in knives when required for transportation and also slip in m.phone and a pack of cigarettes

Next version will hv the pockets just on thigh area.

Was gifted a leather xback apron.. comfortable.. spread out the load on both shoulders as to just the area. Prefer just the half height apron.. Less material to iron...

Hv fun...z

You mean to tell me you cheap MOFOS will spend $1000+ on a Honyaki destined to be a drawer queen, compete in a Battle Royale for the smallest opportunity at a Shigefusa, and wait 2+ years for Marko or Dave to provide with a custom blade, but won't spend more than a few dollars for an apron?

That is like a standard Hobo walking around with a Rolex watch.

You mean to tell me you cheap MOFOS will spend $1000+ on a Honyaki destined to be a drawer queen, compete in a Battle Royale for the smallest opportunity at a Shigefusa, and wait 2+ years for Marko or Dave to provide with a custom blade, but won't spend more than a few dollars for an apron?

That is like a standard Hobo walking around with a Rolex watch.

I realize you’re just cracking a joke here but I wanted to point out that I recently ordered 2 custom knives from Marko and they were both ready to ship in 4 weeks. Infact, I wasn’t quite prepared to pay that soon as I had always heard through the rumor mill that his work could take quite awhile, but in reality for me that wasn’t the case. Hell, he didn’t even ask for a deposit.

Ya I completely agree with panda. I have tried others and I’m happiest in the light cheap ones.

I’m for the cheapies, it’s an apron and most likely to get bleached/covered in the most caustic cleaning chemicals I can buy. What I’ve found helps the most is to wear a shirt with a collar. For some reason just having a collar helps keep the apron from feeling like it’s pulling down and making me hunch over.

i'm saying i actually prefer the $2 aprons over something like a bragard, reason is that i find it more comfortable because it weighs almost nothing.
You could get a custom apron based on linen. All the light weight aspects plus the added hipster elitist aspect.

No. He was just trying to see how many posts he could make in 13 minutes. 1.18 posts per minute. Not bad.

Well, I too prefer blue Bragard aprons. Evening if it is spamming, I appreciate him not promoting ******** hipster aprons such as hedley and bennett and the like.

i wear the blue bragard aprons at work, while i find the cheap white ones more comfortable, i have to swap them out multiple times a day. where as the bragard ones are rugged and dont get so nasty looking.

*** is this?
aprons-parisien-blue.jpg

Back