• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

5 Nakayama Marukas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksie967

No more Ashi
Reaction score
Here we go. Opening up my collection to members here.

These are the last 5 nakayama marukas I have in my posession. I will be keeping one of them and to be honest i'll be happy with whichever it is but it'll be the one that sells last.

Three asagi. Two are very hard: razor/kamisori stones or for polishing core steel to mirror. One is softer and more forgiving and can produce smooth cladding as well.

One is a kiita karasu. One of the hardest i've ever used. Needs to be used with slurry. Period. Ultra fine.

One has kiita tendencies. Filled with harmless lines and namazu. Double sided.

These are as good as it gets.

If someone needs to see slurry/polish pics I can absolutely do that but it may take me a little as i'm super busy with my three boys.

Please add shipping/paypal fees on top of the prices. Willing to ship worldwide but tracking is a must.

BybAM4i.jpg

1. $700USD
208x73x24mm Dolphin grey mizu asagi. Faded stamp. Very old stone. Smooth as hell. Hard as hell but not too hard that you can't work up a slurry on it when freshly lapped. One of my favorite stones for insane mirror polishes on watetsu cladding. Incredible razor/kamisori stone. Fine enough to produce mirror on the ura of single bevel and works very well for microbevels on knives that you want the sharpest natural edge possible.

oBPg2b4.jpg

ifRSueO.jpg

DdidseB.jpg

YACyfDT.jpg

mxdKf1Y.jpg

2. $650USD
208x73x22mm Mizu asagi. Faded stamp that explodes once water hits it. Similar attributes to number 1 but doesn't work up the same kind of slurry. Hard as hell. Razor/kamisori/ura/microbevel perfection.

fsNNnEi.jpg

rE8izKE.jpg

vuQFTCE.jpg

3. $850USD
210x78x29mm. Kiita karasu. Faded stamp. Stupid hard. Same uses as the other two. Razors/kamisori/ura/microbevel perfection. Please use this with slurry. I can't emphasize this enough.

RLHuJND.jpg

EtM2KHm.jpg

yDMlf50.jpg

4. $950USD
210x77x35. True greenish/gray Asagi. Faded stamp. Totally sealed. The purest form of asagi you'll see. Hard but smooth. Freshly lapped works extremely well with cladding. Razors/kamisori/ura/microbevel are easy as pie. The softest of the maruka listed here but by no means soft. 1500grams and an urushi lacquered dai.

eMJFDCr.jpg

LWTco8g.jpg

ANvznaO.jpg

5. $650USD
204x77x25mm. Kiita goodness. Fast as hell. Dual sided. Bold obvious stamp. The lines cannot be felt. Nashiji is somewhat present. Namazu. The side with fewer lines is harder but both sides are useable hardness. Fantastic stone.

htO5rHQ.jpg

MMC3dUv.jpg

DC5scuA.jpg

DC5scuA.jpg

WfE7vvZ.jpg

Its almost impossible to find stones with these levels of purity AND all 4 corners these days, GLWTS, it wont take long!

Brooksie knows his stones. Get them while you can!

Thanks for the comments guys! Only reason i'm moving these is I have an itch for a knife that could be made next week and don't have the cash!

Good choice on the catcheside.
I have 2 and they are amazing....

I've had little to no interest in these so i figured i'd post some polishing pics from some of these.

Here's #1 in action:

As you can see it's a very hard stone but still in the "useable" range even on a flat bevel with relatively soft wrought iron cladding.

cUa6xZS.jpg

fIsXe1M.jpg

JCSE9d8.jpg

Y0fWPyS.jpg

owaw6Zi.jpg

3GRPUUg.jpg

If I didn't already have 2 nice finishing jnats for my straight razor I would be all over it

Maruka 2 and Maruka 3 deserved some pictures to show the intensity of the mirror they can achieve. This was with water only. With slurry both are easier to use and give slight haze to the mirror but still very bright.

Maruka #2:

SzkHrzq.jpg

Yx8Jod0.jpg

lcIKTRc.jpg

LitiUAL.jpg

And Maruka #3

8LJ8oQo.jpg

Ew6CKTR.jpg

Xrm4sby.jpg

YgqqXJr.jpg

0eJY2yl.jpg

Back