Europe passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isasmedjan

Reaction score
IMG_1368.jpg

Ok, i have this little fellow almost ready, i thought this one would do for a small passaround in Europe.

It´s a 210mm Gyoto with a shallow hollowgrind, it is lowlayer carbondamascus in 1080 and 15n20, handle is dyed and stabilized elm burl with copper that´s been a little bit textured and antiqued, vulcanfibre spacers.
Balancepoint is just in front of bolsteredge/ at pinch grip, it´s slightly towards handleheavy.

Fit and finish is not perfect and it has some very small delamination-issues at the bolsterarea, nothing that effects the performance, only the looks :)

This is my first passaround so i figured we do a small one with experienced users, around 5-6 people i think!
(I will do one more passaround with another knife later this year that will go international with more users)

My goal with this is to test my profile, heattreat etc. Fit and finish is not important with this one, atleast not for me :)

The rules are simple, use it for one week then send it to the next on the list, ask me for adress!
Send it with what you prefer, insure the package for 5000SEK.
Sharpen if it needs to be sharpened but give me a heads up if you do because i want to keep track of how the edge holds up.
Do not abuse it (chop on glass, stone etc). Take proper care, it´s a carbonsteel knife (no dishwasher, wipe it of instantly etc).
Keep me informed about location and tracking number via PM after shipping the knife.
Provide me with some feedback either here in this thread or via PM.

Is there anything else i should think about? Customs shouldn´t worry so much as long as it is held within the EU?

Signup via PM, it´s first come first serve, just keep in mind that i want experienced users that will use the knife everyday or that are familiar with passaround and knows what is expected of it!
I´ll let you know here when all spots are taken.

Thanks for your time :)

Nice looking knife, I'll be looking forward to the international round later this year.

Nice looking knife, I'll be looking forward to the international round later this year.

Thank you! Yeah, me too, i'm not sure when it's going to be but i'll try to have it ready at the end of summer :)

Ok guys,

All spots are taken! Thank you for the quick response :)

I have an update - the knife was shipped to the next person in line, but the package got stuck (since 8 days as of today). I filed a claim with DHL and while I am pretty sure the case will be resolved (the package is not lost, justg stuck), it will also mean that we got at least 2 week delay. I will post an update here once the knife has reached the second tester, so that everyone can check whether the schedule works for them.

I have an update - the knife was shipped to the next person in line, but the package got stuck (since 8 days as of today). I filed a claim with DHL and while I am pretty sure the case will be resolved (the package is not lost, justg stuck), it will also mean that we got at least 2 week delay. I will post an update here once the knife has reached the second tester, so that everyone can check whether the schedule works for them.

Matus, can you give some thoughts on the knife?

I have given a detailed feedback to Jonas directly and we agreed that I would post here after the passaround, so that subsequent testers are not biased.

I have another update for the group. The knife managed to find its way to its indented destination, but since it arrived 2 weeks later, krx927 was already in vacation. He will inform the rest of the group when then knife will be ready to be shipped again.

Hello guys,

Just a short update on the passaround! The knife has been with Matus and kxr927, it's now on it's why to Ireland and Alterwisser! We had a little issue with the knife being stuck a couple of weeks between Matus and kxr927 but it found the way eventually! The order has been a little messed up by this but hopefully it will arrive safely to Alterwisser and we can sort out the rest from there.
Steffen: i know you had some issues with the mail, contact me when you are about to send it and we figure something out!
Also, Matus and kxr927 agreed with me to send personal feedback via email initially, we thought this to be the best as long as the passaround was rolling so that subsequent participants were not biased! After the passaround is finished everyone can write their thoughts here if they want to.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Best regards
Jonas

Quick update on the pa, there has been some delays due to different reasons, but the knife is now on it’s way to the last participant! Thanks for your patience everybody

Back