Looking for real nice stainless clad gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagohawkie

Reaction score
Having nearly 100 percent of my high end knives being carbon, I’m getting burned out on all the maintenance needed to keep them looking good. So, I’m looking to get another stainless gyuto - have a sukenari zdp 240 gyuto and a Shibata R2 245 kashima on the way. For next one I’d like to get a higher end stainless blade. Would like to stick with the wa handle and have a fairly flat profile. Would also like it to have a very high level of finish, something along the lines of a Shig. Like to keep it in the 500-800 dollar range. For steels I’m open, guess it could be a carbon core with a stainless clad. Curious to hear what others think. Fire away!

Saji R2 ironwood

Goldeband knife from Australia. He makes some very nice stainless clad blue 2 or 52100 knives. He makes his own San mai blank not the pre laminated one.

Tilman Leder. Ticks all the boxes, if you can wait for it, but it will be worth it. Best f&f I have seen to date.

Edit. Dont know if he makes stainless clad, but his stainless is up there with the best ones.

How about a Dahlman 240 AEB-L?
I might know someone who might have a preloved Dahlman looking for a new home.

The Yoshikane SLD 240 black damascus is definitely in my short list in this category.

Very cool, some I would not have thought of. Anymore?
Tilman Leder is on the list and I’m going to reach out to Dahlman again, not sure if that buttermilk BS was his fault.

I don't know a lot of really nice knives in stainless, my nicest stainless knife is a kono ginsan, and it is a very nice knife. though not really available anymore, when it was, It wasn't very pricey, but it is an excellent performer.

I've had a Yoshikane K Tip SLD that I liked a lot. Purty knife. Jon and Hide are doing some interesting things with Ginsanko. And if you don't have to spend all that money the Gengetsu is stainless clad and remains one of my favorite knives.

Grab yourself a DT in AEBL, you will love that stuff!!

Ha ha! No TF! I want a nicely finished knife! :goodpost:
I always liked the kono ginsan, but they were too short at the heel. I like the yoshikane knives, but am unsure of the steel. Have heard that it’s hit or miss on the heat treat. A DT knive is always of interest, but never see anything for sale, is he actively still making?

I almost mentioned the takayuki non damascus version but didn't. But now that its been mentioned. I absolutely love my non damascus version and the handle is quite nice imo. It is different than the Damascus version. Since you like katos so much, i think you would enjoy the grind. Out of my humble collection it is my favorite overall knive.

Want to thank everyone for thier suggestions, but I think I’m going to have James get me a Takayuki Damascus ginsan with one of his killer handles and following that I’m going to grab a Dahlman s grind Abe-l 240. I think these additions along with a Shibata Kashima and a sukenari zdp 189 Damascus will round out my stainless herd.

I have the mono 52100 gyuto. It’s an excellent well made knife.

Which length?

In the limited stuff I've come across thus far I've read they're almost laser thin at the edge, but are medium thin at the spine, nice grinds, excellent fit and finish. Does that sound about right?

How reactive are they?

I'm thinking about grabbing something in 52100, this knife has my interest piqued.

We’re getting off topic...I can certainly give you my opinions somewhere else on the forum or through PM. Also, there’s a thread somewhere where Jon describes the grind and steel( ginrei 52100 performance is diff from other makers). Def not a laser, not even close.

Back