Recs for 240ish-wide bevel, KU finish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensbites

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No, wa handle please. 99% chance I will rehandle it myself

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
220-240 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Hone

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing/chopping veggies and fruits.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Adding to my collection

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push, pull, slice, chop. I am not a rocker

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Thin behind the edge, but beefy enough to not feel like a child’s toy. 6-8 oz.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I am drawn to KU finish and wide bevels, but that is not an absolute.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I an improve the fit and finish myself, that doesn’t bother me. I will rehandle the knife and make a matching saya.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Thin behind the edge, with a solid spine. I was told this was the “looks good with some junk in the trunk” version of a knife.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I don’t care

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

This stems from an extended time with a friend’s koishi. That knife just resonated with me from performance to astetics. A have also been thinking about the makoto from CKTG. I have no problem buying from Mark, I know some of you people do. He has let me use his forum to sell handles and other culinary woodworking products. The least I can do is buy from him when it makes sense.

I am open to anything. I seem to like the look of wide beveled KU knives, I figured I would check with the informed hive before I assume I know it all.

Maybe Munetoshi, but the grind is on the workhorse side of things. Very different from Kochi. Different profile too.

Maybe Munetoshi, but the grind is on the workhorse side of things. Very different from Kochi. Different profile too.

I have a Munetoshi butcher knife and I really like it. I looked at the gyuto and the choil shot looks like a medium bevel vs a wide bevel. Then choil shots are like resumes. Looks can be deceiving.

+2 on the Kochi. Too bad you would knock the handle off though. I know you make nice handles but I love the burnt chest nut handles. :D

+2 on the Kochi. Too bad you would knock the handle off though. I know you make nice handles but I love the burnt chest nut handles. :D

So it's settled. He buys the Kochi and sends me the stock handle once it's removed

95eU3W2.jpg

I'd also recommend the Kochi! LOVE this knife.

I have a Munetoshi butcher knife and I really like it. I looked at the gyuto and the choil shot looks like a medium bevel vs a wide bevel. Then choil shots are like resumes. Looks can be deceiving.

The relative 'narrowness' of the bevel on the Munetoshi is in my view an advantage (because it is on the thicker side)

Just have to mention this - not within your budget, but a gyuto by Bryan would make you very happy :)

I will send it to you if Ivey it and if knock it off...

I vote for the Kochi as well. It's one my favorites. My other thought is Kurosaki AS Kurochi or Syousin Chiku by Kurosaki. Those two blades are similar

Looking at the Mazaki choil shot, would you consider it a wide bevel? I know the OP asked this question on another forum and although all the suggestions had a KU finish, all but one were not wide beveled. To me KU does not equal a wide bevel, even when it appears like one because the change of finishes.

Looking at the Mazaki choil shot, would you consider it a wide bevel? I know the OP asked this question on another forum and although all the suggestions had a KU finish, all but one were not wide beveled. To me KU does not equal a wide bevel, even when it appears like one because the change of finishes.

I agree. I have found that wide bevel is more of a thing here vs there it seems. Rather, we focus more on it here.

well, I just pull the trigger on a Makoto Damascus. This will be fun.

Thank you to everyone for their opinions.

What are you trying to say?
Simply that people more frequently request and discuss wide bevel knives here. It is less of a factor in suggesting a knife, at least on the surface there than here. Or so it seems anyway. Didn't mean to imply anything by it one way or another, just thinking out loud.

Edit: I guess I am just reminded of a few old threads here about wide bevels vs knives that look like they have a wide bevel but don't. Even then it seemed a lot of people could not agree. There was a lot of discussion about geometric shinogi lines vs cosmetic etc. Just seems something that has been discussed at large here.

Back