180mm Gyuto's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Kinogie

Reaction score
So I'm looking to add a 180mm Gyuto to the collection. I really don't have a strict preference on steel, cladding, etc. I do prefer a flatter profile, but I'm really just looking to hear of your favorites and really any 180's you've had hands on experience with.
I love the idea of a Murray Carter Funayuki, but especially since he stopped offering them with those generic old school round handles, the price on them has gotten a bit brisk.
Anyway, I don't want to name drop any further before hearing what y'all have to say.

Of the accessible ones I've tried Tanaka B2 KU is surprisingly good, like really good. It's more 190mm but who cares.

I been using Mazaki kasumi 180mm gyuto past few weeks and its has been great! I purchased it first week of Feb for $220 after 15% discount and now its almost $70 cheaper. Great deal!

My thought on a smaller knife would be to keep it thin, something like a Gesshin Ginga.

I just received a TF Denka 180mm gyuto with western handle direct from Japan. I told them what my specs were ie thin, flat through the last third of the blade and with a nice cladding line. I got what I wanted except the choil is a little thicker at the heel but is very thin behind the edge over the remaining 175mm to the tip.

Laser Yo-Gyutos too? If "yo", Takamura and Ryusen make some very pretty ones in 180mm.

Of the accessible ones I've tried Tanaka B2 KU is surprisingly good, like really good. It's more 190mm but who cares.

+1

I gave mine away to a friend and really miss it! Fit and finish a bit rough but amazing value for money.

+1

I gave mine away to a friend and really miss it! Fit and finish a bit rough but amazing value for money.

I do like the Tanaka's, they're low height on the heel though.

Was looking at the Shihan, it's beautiful, 52100 mono and tall, I believe 47 at the heel, not cheap by any means though.

I do like the Tanaka's, they're low height on the heel though.

Was looking at the Shihan, it's beautiful, 52100 mono and tall, I believe 47 at the heel, not cheap by any means though.

I don't think Tanakas fall into the low heel category, mine is like 47mm which is not low at all for 190mm.

I don't think Tanakas fall into the low heel category, mine is like 47mm which is not low at all for 190mm.

No, that is exactly what I'm looking for. The one listed on japanny is listed as 40 though, like a big petty. On Amazon it's listed as 45 though, that would also be fine.

Yeah mine was quite tall for the length. 47mm sounds about right.

Ep4KWh8.jpg

My thought on a smaller knife would be to keep it thin, something like a Gesshin Ginga.

I picked up a GG used on bst. Keep it with event stuff for small work in cramped spaces - just like one has at a catered event. Height is perfect, more agile than a 210. Like.

Kato 180 Gyuto... if you can find one! And you cannot have mine.

I picked up a GG used on bst. Keep it with event stuff for small work in cramped spaces - just like one has at a catered event. Height is perfect, more agile than a 210. Like.

I think 35-41 is fine on a 180 as you get flatter profile
w/o having to force a belly or drop tip into the profile.

A 210 GG came up for sale on BST and it was only ~200x41 or so.
so, yeah...get whatever works. ;)

at some stage petty/gyuto is a hybird in this range (180-195)
... its all in the eye of the beholder

I have a few 180's and like them a lot! Tanaka B#2 Damascus is wonderful! Watanabe is another one that is is great. However, I really like my Takamura Migaki. It is nice and pointy and high enough at the heel to feel gyuto like but low enough to feel petty like.

Many choices out there. Good luck!

This is so funny. Every time there's a knife questionnaire every one is pushing the 240 size like crazy (me included :D ). But now someone is looking for 180 size and suddenly it's a full on 180 gyuto party. All you traitors!!! :lol2:

It's agile and fun and yadyadayada?

But seriously I do love my 190 Tanaka VG10 dammy. My coworkers Tanaka 190 KU gyuto is a hoot too. Both are way too good for the price. Going by my Watanabe nakiri the 180 KU pro gyuto should be be great. Kinda wish I'd bought that instead of the nakiri.

Based upon my experience with the 195mm, I'd assume the 180mm Misono Swedish would be a nice blade. Plus you'd get the flower engraving.

The Misono Swedish 180 is narrow, just as the 210. The 195 is here the exception. Consider the Masahiro Virgin Carbon instead.

This is so funny. Every time there's a knife questionnaire every one is pushing the 240 size like crazy (me included :D ). But now someone is looking for 180 size and suddenly it's a full on 180 gyuto party. All you traitors!!! :lol2:

There a many members that go against the status quo and prefer 180 or 210mm, stainless steel, or god forbid a santoku (read: girl's knife):biggrin: . They just know they are the silent minority and don't bother trying to convince us we have it wrong... like we do to them

This is so funny. Every time there's a knife questionnaire every one is pushing the 240 size like crazy (me included :D ). But now someone is looking for 180 size and suddenly it's a full on 180 gyuto party. All you traitors!!! [emoji38]2:

It's agile and fun and yadyadayada?

But seriously I do love my 190 Tanaka VG10 dammy. My coworkers Tanaka 190 KU gyuto is a hoot too. Both are way too good for the price. Going by my Watanabe nakiri the 180 KU pro gyuto should be be great. Kinda wish I'd bought that instead of the nakiri.
Many of us go the 240mm and 180mm gyuto combo, plus petty. That said, I sneaked in a 210 just for fun.

There a many members that go against the status quo and prefer 180 or 210mm, stainless steel, or god forbid a santoku (read: girl's knife):biggrin: . They just know they are the silent minority and don't bother trying to convince us we have it wrong... like we do to them
Has nothing to do with a silent minority.
I generally will suggest 240 as a standard. I have plenty of chef's between 230 and 270 and bought a relatively wide 180 to try a steel and like it for small tasks at home; I rarely use a petty, and have previously sold all 210s. Still believe a 240 is the most versatile one, and certainly as a one and only.

My eyes, my eyes!!! :bigeek:

A 210 gyuto??? A santoku???
Sacrilege!!!

...So all the dirty little secrets are starting to sneak out?
Shame on you!

...And for the record I do not own a 210 Takamura! My conscience is clear! :angel2:

My choice in the 180 gyuto category would be Watanabe mostly because it will handle and feel like a slightly bigger gyuto than it actually is

Idk I find a 180 narrow gyuto to be quite versatile. I can do every task in my kitchen with my FKH. Not most, all. I still use my KS more but that is beside the point. I could live with a 180 with relative ease. In fact, I did so for a long time and before that I did everything with a 165mm petty. My travel knife is still that exact 180mm FKH. :)

In the case of a 180 or even 210 I prefer narrow and a slicer like profile is even better. :)

240mm my favorite size for work. Most the knives sell to students & cooks are that. At home have some small knives that get used a lot. White steel petty, small WS Carter, 180mm Kochi K tip. With all the wacky profiles & full heel bolsters in the knife world that are out there, don't know how anyone can trash Santoku's. Ever wonder why some of the top Japanese master knife makers forge santoku's. :cool2:

With all the wacky profiles & full heel bolsters in the knife world that are out there, don't know how anyone can trash Santoku's. Ever wonder why some of the top Japanese master knife makers forge santoku's. :cool2:

Women need knives too :sofa:

Back