informal poll: current finishing method for sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, how many generally finish by:
A. stropping on newspaper
B. stropping on a finishing stone
C. stropping on loaded leather
D. stropping on loaded balsa
E. stropping on unloaded leather
F. no stropping
G. other

Hmm...either F (some natural out of the few I have) or C (Dave's leather and diamond spray).

F. All the way for me no strops just finish on the stones and a couple pulls thru champagne cork.

a or f depedning on the knife, the sharpening, etc.

"oh... and sometimes G"

"and B too, sometimes"

This is very interesting. I would have thought that people with a lot of experience would have settled on a "best" way to finish. Why do you use different methods under different circumstances?

Keith

"oh... and sometimes G"

"and B too, sometimes"

This is very interesting. I would have thought that people with a lot of experience would have settled on a "best" way to finish. Why do you use different methods under different circumstances?

Keith

Different knives, and, as you say, different circumstances.

B - Gesshin 15k or
D - w/ 1 micron diamond spray or
F - if I'm tired

Finishing (10K) stone followed by felt-lined strop (unloaded). Sometimes I finish with a natural stone.

M

Quick question what do people consider stropping on the stone. To me that is still just using the stones or same as F. Even if you are doing dedicated edge trailing strokes, to me that is finishing on the stone and no really stropping.

To me stropping is using some other medium besides the stone to aid in finishing. Just curious what others think.

Latest posts

Back