Help picking a book.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to make a handle for a knife. This post explains the what and why. :) I was an active woodworker and fairly good, but lost the use of a shop 20 + years ago. So I want to use the wood in the link, but plan on doing a test knife first so I don't screw up the beautiful crotch.

I am not making a blade, nor do I intend to buy all the equipment to forge blades, (although the 2 x 72 belt sanders do look very sexy. :lol2: ). Rather than pepper this site with endless questions, I'd like a book that is focused on handles, or at least has a good section on them. Amazon has a number of books that have good ratings, so I just need an opinion or two on a good one.

Another thought is would I be better off for this project at a forum about making knives, and which one?

Thanx,

Ron

I am going to make a handle for a knife. This post explains the what and why. :) I was an active woodworker and fairly good, but lost the use of a shop 20 + years ago. So I want to use the wood in the link, but plan on doing a test knife first so I don't screw up the beautiful crotch.

I am not making a blade, nor do I intend to buy all the equipment to forge blades, (although the 2 x 72 belt sanders do look very sexy. :lol2: ). Rather than pepper this site with endless questions, I'd like a book that is focused on handles, or at least has a good section on them. Amazon has a number of books that have good ratings, so I just need an opinion or two on a good one.

Another thought is would I be better off for this project at a forum about making knives, and which one?

Thanx,

Ron

There are many forums about knives. I noticed some of them have disappeared over the years though. Like knifeforums.com and britishblades.com. Bladeforums is still around though.

Here are some books. I have not read any of them. http://brisa.fi/books-media.html

Thanx - That's the problem - there are a ton of books out there. :scratchhead: One possibility is "Blade and Guard", but I don't know if it's any good. I'd hate to spend $30 for a crummy book.

Back