Quantcast
What is Stropping to you - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Stropping to you

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    A strop can be a thing or an action, I have no problem and no confusion with referring to edge trailing finishing strokes on a stone be referred to as stropping.
    I'm with you on this. A strop (n) is a sharpening device other than a stone that can be leather, balsa, newspaper, etc that requires edge trailing strokes so as to not cut into the surface.

Therefore, stropping to me is synonymous w/ edge trailing strokes, and can be performed on any medium, including stones. Stroping is a form of sharpening, which is also honing.

On another note, steeling (whether on a steel or ceramic rod) is NOT honing, as the term is used frequently by some "kitchen experts", as honing is sharpening and steeling {generally} is realigning the edge, not removing metal to create a new edge.

There is a difference between a steel and a ceramic rod. Ceramic is much harder than knife steels so it does remove metal.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    There is a difference between a steel and a ceramic rod. Ceramic is much harder than knife steels so it does remove metal.
    Actually, a steel should only be used if it is harder than the blade and it will also remove metal unless it is a smooth polished steel.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    I'm with you on this. A strop (n) is a sharpening device other than a stone that can be leather, balsa, newspaper, etc that requires edge trailing strokes so as to not cut into the surface.

Therefore, stropping to me is synonymous w/ edge trailing strokes, and can be performed on any medium, including stones. Stroping is a form of sharpening, which is also honing.

On another note, steeling (whether on a steel or ceramic rod) is NOT honing, as the term is used frequently by some "kitchen experts", as honing is sharpening and steeling {generally} is realigning the edge, not removing metal to create a new edge.
    Neither honing nor sharpening are technical terms. Sharpening means "to make sharp" and sharp means "cuts well". So it's all lingo, and as long as you are an avid or professional sharpener, you ARE an expert, but rarely do experts agree. There are ooddles of experts here, this is an enthusiast forum.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Neither honing nor sharpening are technical terms. Sharpening means "to make sharp" and sharp means "cuts well". So it's all lingo, and as long as you are an avid or professional sharpener, you ARE an expert, but rarely do experts agree. There are ooddles of experts here, this is an enthusiast forum.
    I wasn't referring to anyone here as a "kitchen expert" as there are many real experts here; I was referring to media "experts" that really aren't, who confuse and interchange terms to make themselves appear more knowledgeable - and marketable - than they really are.

I noticed some time ago, as an example, that there's a big difference in the way the straight razor world and the kitchen + knife world uses the same terms. After doing a little research on definitions I came to the conclusion that the kitchen + knife world is less correct in it's use of terms; not necessarily wrong but less correct none the less. The problem I have is when "lingo" gets thrown around a small enthusiast community and then the "lingo" becomes the acceptable definition of a term, contrary to what the real world common definition may be.

Not sure what you mean by "honing" and "sharpening" not being technical terms. They have definitions. Particularly honing. Sharpening is a form a honing (Honing is an abrasive machining process that produces a precision surface on a metal workpiece by scrubbing an abrasive stone against it along a controlled path.) Steeling is a form of sharpening (to make sharp), but not a form of honing. Steeling a rod is not intended to be honing as the intention is to realign an edge. Saying that, I do understand that some rod materials may remove some small amount of metal in the process, so that definition has exceptions.