Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Buying a wok

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    what are you gonna do with the iwantani?
    It's mostly on donabe duty. Rice from Kamado san is godlike.

I've also done a round or two with the donabe smoker.

Haven't done hot pot yet. Mostly because I can't stop eating the rice.

I just did a round of stir fry with the Iwatani and it does a pretty decent job. It's definitely way hotter than any range's burner I've ever used personally, which is saying something. In small batches, wok hey is certainly achievable.

But it ain't a wok burner. I highly recommend the Iwatani 35FW as a portable burner for indoor or outdoor use. For tabletop use for hotpot, the smaller "slim" Iwatani is a better choice. I have both. They're cheap for what they are. They're pretty high output burners that you can throw in a tote bag and were designed to be used safely indoors. In short, they're the balls. There are all kinds of weirdo accessories for the slimline Iwatani. I have this one but haven't used it yet:

Also this:

Lots of fun to be had with the Iwatanis.

There's so little English language documentation for all this stuff, it's sort of hilarious.

neat stove!!

i kinda want an Iwatanis to cook somethings at work. i have a dedicated hot pot thing..and i dont even know the words you dropped for the other uses i will never do Korean BBQ at home..i cant stand how i smell leaving a restaurant..turn my house like that..no thanks.

holy Hyjack!! sorry OP

@Jovidah the rough surface also brings a mechanical semi-nonstick property with it - reasonably firm stuff can't really get stuck flush and solid to it. Truly compliant things are quite another matter.
    "All right. So whatdya do with it?" - "Whatdya mean 'Whatdya do with it?" - "Self defense? Mayhem? Shish kebab?"

I recently picked a up a Staub medium sized wok and it's constantly in use. Superb heat distribution and easy to clean, mine was a little over $250.

https://www.staub-online.com/us/en/s...509-398-0.html

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I recently picked a up a Staub medium sized wok and it's constantly in use. Superb heat distribution and easy to clean, mine was a little over $250.

https://www.staub-online.com/us/en/s...509-398-0.html
    I've always been intrigued by the Staub woks / universal pans for a low maintenance stir-fry option, but already have so many Staub pieces I cannot justify the expense (or storage space).

BTW, I like your username
    "A dull knife means you're a ******* loser" – Matty Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by aboynamedsuita View Post
    I've always been intrigued by the Staub woks / universal pans for a low maintenance stir-fry option, but already have so many Staub pieces I cannot justify the expense (or storage space).

BTW, I like your username
    Here's my cat, torn ear is from fighting on the streets in Singapore

He's a street cat who decided to emigrate to Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Here's my cat, torn ear is from fighting on the streets in Singapore

He's a street cat who decided to emigrate to Tokyo

LIKE!! You’re a good person 😽

I think I did a review on cheftec pan. I actually use it over the Iwataini stove too. Its my bacon cooker. I use a large lid to press the bacon as it cooks, grease just pours out.

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.