The PERFECT mug cake

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khorax

Reaction score
Through years of trial and error, I have finally come up with the perfect chocolate mug cake recipe. The only variable you will have to tweek is how long to nuke it to get that perfect half/cooked lava cake consistency. It depends on how badass your microwave is. So if you are lying around at night and want a desert but don't have anything in your house, mix this up and treat yourself to perfection. I will now share with you my most treasured of all secrets.

In your favorite mug, combine the following dry ingredients:
3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Mix the dry ingredients well, then combine the following wet ingredients:
3 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Mix well until you get a cake-like batter. Time to nuke this sucker. I have a small crappy not-very-powerful microwave and I nuke it for 42 seconds. Not 43 seconds or it's too cooked. Not 41 seconds or it's raw. 42 seconds. This depends on your microwave. You want to see just a bit of wet cake batter on the top... you want spoonfuls of cake AND cake batter in every bite. If you have a powerful microwave maybe go 38-39 seconds. This might take you a few tries to get it just right, but I assure you this recipe is a keeper once you figure it out.

After cooking let stand for about 2-3 minutes (it will keep cooking a bit from the inside), then if you are a total boss sprinkle a bit of Maldon Salt flakes on top, and dig in.
Let me know how it turns out!

I feel like this is too much power for one drunk-guy-at-1am to have.

I will definitely try this.

Dammit. Now I'm going to make this, and eat it in iterations until I find the microwave sweet spot.

No butter? Cake... without... butter?

I'm patiently waiting for validation here gentlemen.

I'm patiently waiting for validation here gentlemen.

JUST MADE THIS, but subbed the oil for beurre noisette(I have no veg oil) but tons of butter in my house, she was a pretty good snack after my cold five guys

Is this a 750W or 900W microwave, or entirely something else, that you used to develop the recipe? And what mug - not only will dimensions differ, but mugs - especially favorite mugs - have a tendency to be made out of only marginally microwave-safe materials that will heat up themselves and shield microwaves to varying degrees.

Made it. Swapped veg oil with butter. Needed about 47 seconds in my 1000w but used thick mugs. Kids and wife went crazy for it. Made 4 in under 10 minutes. Will be doing this again!!!

Is this a 750W or 900W microwave, or entirely something else, that you used to develop the recipe? And what mug - not only will dimensions differ, but mugs - especially favorite mugs - have a tendency to be made out of only marginally microwave-safe materials that will heat up themselves and shield microwaves to varying degrees.

It's a 700 W microwave and I use your run of the mill generic white dollarama ceramic mug. I like mime quite "runny" honestly. For people complaining there are no eggs, well that's correct and this recipe enables you to eat the half baked uncooked batter safely.

This is a "omg-i-need-chocolate-now-but-dont-have-anything-in-the-house-and-am-feeling-lazy-no-dishes-no-work-no-fuss-need-it-now" desert. Should have stated that in my original post. For sure you can get fancy and top it with broken chocolate bars, nuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc. I agree it has more of an "adult" flavor in that it's not overly sweet or chocolaty. That's what I was going for. I'm sure if you started melting chocolate in a bain-marie it could get interesting, but the point of this mug cake was just a quick lazy 1 cup recipe for a chocolate fix. I will try the next one with butter as some of you have done.

Made it. Swapped veg oil with butter. Needed about 47 seconds in my 1000w but used thick mugs. Kids and wife went crazy for it. Made 4 in under 10 minutes. Will be doing this again!!!

Nice! When I have to make lots I will say quadruple the recipe in a large bowl then just scoop some into mugs. Only microwave one at a time though unless you are a scientist and can figure it out.

Nice! When I have to make lots I will say quadruple the recipe in a large bowl then just scoop some into mugs. Only microwave one at a time though unless you are a scientist and can figure it out.

That's exactly what I did. My kids are 6, 3 and 1 and my wife is a chocolate-addict. These were both sweet enough and chocolaty enough for the family. Everyone said they can't wait for me to do it again.

i dont bake. so PLEASE excuse my lame question.

Cocoa powder..we are talking about stuff you mix with milk? no..dutch cocoa powder?

dutch and normal straight cocoa powder differ in pH, there could be an influence on leavening ...

well it works well!! very good.

my oven is also right at 42 seconds. oh, i put a splash of cognac in mine..no vanilla.

Er ma gerd... never thought of putting liquor in there. So obvious... yet it eluded me. Now I gotta try it with booze... and butter. It's super cool I thought I had the master recipe then shoot it off to a bunch of kitchen nuts/chefs and get all these great ideas. Together we can make this recipe better!

Through years of trial and error, I have finally come up with the perfect chocolate mug cake recipe. The only variable you will have to tweek is how long to nuke it to get that perfect half/cooked lava cake consistency. It depends on how badass your microwave is. So if you are lying around at night and want a desert but don't have anything in your house, mix this up and treat yourself to perfection. I will now share with you my most treasured of all secrets.

In your favorite mug, combine the following dry ingredients:
3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Mix the dry ingredients well, then combine the following wet ingredients:
3 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Mix well until you get a cake-like batter. Time to nuke this sucker. I have a small crappy not-very-powerful microwave and I nuke it for 42 seconds. Not 43 seconds or it's too cooked. Not 41 seconds or it's raw. 42 seconds. This depends on your microwave. You want to see just a bit of wet cake batter on the top... you want spoonfuls of cake AND cake batter in every bite. If you have a powerful microwave maybe go 38-39 seconds. This might take you a few tries to get it just right, but I assure you this recipe is a keeper once you figure it out.

After cooking let stand for about 2-3 minutes (it will keep cooking a bit from the inside), then if you are a total boss sprinkle a bit of Maldon Salt flakes on top, and dig in.
Let me know how it turns out!

Lol, I'm kinda surprised your wife lets you make this haha.

I think I'll try to make my "healthy" version with whole grains… probably butter and/or coconut oil too

@Khorax ingredient and equipment subtleties like that can sometimes end up not being nice to the baker :) Especially with "trick baking" like microwave cakes or no-rise yeast breads :)

Back