Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Turning grinder on or off pops RCD

Turning grinder on or off pops RCD

My new grinder pops the RCD of my home sometimes. Never during grinding, sometimes when turning it on, sometimes when turning it off. Typically when changing belts. I've been using it for a couple of days now. Any idea's?

Thanks in advance

Did it perchance come with an electrical schematic?

And... before wild goose are chased, cooked and served ... it is the RCD that trips, NOT an automat fuse?

"All right. So whatdya do with it?" - "Whatdya mean 'Whatdya do with it?" - "Self defense? Mayhem? Shish kebab?"

No and no unfortunately. My fuses are the old fashioned 16A ones. Not the modern automatic ones. My house is from the 80's

The one that trips is a central RCD covering the entire house

RCD could blow because of some oddly wired capacitor in the motor starter circuitry... and no, don't go removing capacitors...

Probably best to have a local sparky check your machine through with a megger...
    "All right. So whatdya do with it?" - "Whatdya mean 'Whatdya do with it?" - "Self defense? Mayhem? Shish kebab?"

If your going to trip, it's usually at start up. Are you running other things on same circuit that could be turned off? How many HP is your motor/ what amperage?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

350 Watt at 240 Volts. It is in a shed in my garden on a general purpose circuit of the ground floor of my home.

It may be that you are close to the amp limit for the RCD. After it trips a couple of times the spring is weakened enough thast it will not stay in or will trip if you are even close to overload.