Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Hello

Hello

I've joined the forum to gain some knowledge. I'd like to surprise my wife with a high quality set of kitchen knives but this is not my world so I know very little about it. Hoping for some information and recommendations.

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum.

If you'll fill out the which knife questionnaire you get some suggestions that are tailored to your requirements.

Older and wider..

Step 1- avoid sets at all costs.
    Step 2- select the styles/shapes of knives she NEEDS
    Step 3- fill out questionnaire (don't forget to include budget and location)
    Step 4- become paralyzed by the overwhelming options

anticipating the paralysis from over analysis. I'm a researcher so I often tend to over think it. No sets though, I hadn't anticipated that advice.

Hello

You are in the right place to get good recommendations but I think the 1st choice you need to make is whether or not your wife will be able to take care of carbon steel knives (which can rust, cannot be washed in the dishwasher, chip if used on bones or even pips etc). Carbon steel knives will generally take a better edge than stainless but stainless are much less hassle to maintain. We are not talking the traditional “German” stainless like Wusthoffs etc - there are newer, better stainless steels than that. Most of the quality knives recommended here will have very hard but sharp edges than can be sensitive to damage if not used with care

Do you have brands that you recommend for the better stainless steel options?