Quantcast
Root Vegetables - What knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Root Vegetables - What knife

Carrots and parsnips are pretty soft in hard-veggie land. Shigefusa gyuto is the best I have used on those. Butternut squash, I really like my Martell 300mm suji. Best I have used. Other super hard squash (delicata, etc), hard sweet potatoes, rutabaga, things of that nature; a well ground non-laser gyuto is usually my go to. Like mentioned, technique matters, a lot. Try different cutting motions and product orientation. The same knife can be awful with one cutting motion and spectacular with another. And yes I know some of these aren't root veggies, but they are hard and the cutting techniques are similar.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Carrots and parsnips are pretty soft in hard-veggie land. Shigefusa gyuto is the best I have used on those. Butternut squash, I really like my Martell 300mm suji. Best I have used. Other super hard squash (delicata, etc), hard sweet potatoes, rutabaga, things of that nature; a well ground non-laser gyuto is usually my go to. Like mentioned, technique matters, a lot. Try different cutting motions and product orientation. The same knife can be awful with one cutting motion and spectacular with another. And yes I know some of these aren't root veggies, but they are hard and the cutting techniques are similar.
    esp on the shige.

Carter suji?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

konosuke 270mm HD wa-gyuto
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    konosuke 270mm HD wa-gyuto
    Yes to this. I never feel like I'm pushing the limits even on super dense B-nut squash.

Quote Originally Posted by macmiddlebrooks View Post
    Yes to this. I never feel like I'm pushing the limits even on super dense B-nut squash.
    only time i did was this weekend with raw spaghetti squash. i didn't want to cut them in half.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Butternut squash = CCK
    carrots/ parsnips/ potatoes = Kono HD 240mm gyuto
    Large radish/ turnips/ daikon, etc... = Tojiro Pro 300mm gyuto
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    only time i did was this weekend with raw spaghetti squash. i didn't want to cut them in half.
    Those were some hard ones weren't they! I didn't even put the mizuno to it it just felt too damn hard. Glad I had the crappy stainless cleaver!!

240 Nenox yo-deba.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    Those were some hard ones weren't they! I didn't even put the mizuno to it it just felt too damn hard. Glad I had the crappy stainless cleaver!!
    im glad you have that too