Similar knives to Toyama, but western?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been loving my Toyama, since I got it it’s been blowing my mind. (Thanks chinacats) But the little knife devil inside me is already thinking about what to get next. I’ve always found proper western handles are more comfy for long prep sessions. Is there any western handle knife with comparable grind, profile and heft as Toyama?

Thanks kkf

A few years ago Maksim had a small run of Western handled Itinomonn gyutos, Takefu V2 core in stainless cladding. I haven't seen one in his shop in a long time. Every once in a while one is offered on B/S/T.

Approx. measurements (from the JNS website):

Handle Length- 120mm
Handle Width- 20mm
Handle to Tip Length- 375mm
Hell to Tip Length- 245mm
Blade Height at Heel- 51mm
Width of Spine at Handle- 3,95mm
Width of Spine Above Heel- 3,6mm
Width of Spine at Middle- 2,2mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the tip- 0,9mm
Weight- 280g

IMG_4344.jpg

A western/yo handled Toyama-esque knife w bolster would be really freaking heavy. Some people enjoy yo shigs, but for those of us that actually use our knives to cut food I’d suggest finding a thinner western gyuto.

I saw that western watanabe, that looks like it cost a fortune. Does a watanabe handle similar to a Toyama?
I’m not interested in knives so nice you can’t use em.

I saw that western watanabe, that looks like it cost a fortune. Does a watanabe handle similar to a Toyama?
I’m not interested in knives so nice you can’t use em.

Watanabe was Toyama's apprentice. The knives are often considered to be pretty similar. You can probably find some closer comparisons if you google their names together. Watanabe is also known to..well.. make whatever the hell you want him to if asked. Pretty sure he can oblige you with what yo're looking for if asked.

Get another toyama and have someone put a hidden tang western handle on it :nunchucks:

Watanabe was Toyama's apprentice. The knives are often considered to be pretty similar. You can probably find some closer comparisons if you google their names together. Watanabe is also known to..well.. make whatever the hell you want him to if asked. Pretty sure he can oblige you with what yo're looking for if asked.

Oh snap that’s the answer I was looking for. I think I have a game plan

Get another toyama and have someone put a hidden tang western handle on it :nunchucks:

Maybe I’ll have watanabe San just make a gyuto with no handle, but with a matchi. I think those conversions look much more slick when the blade going into the handle has the same height as the handle.

I saw that linked post. Im into that, I don’t think it’s herasy. In fact I love that thing. I’m just trying to factor in the cost of a custom order, plus getting someone to make a handle. I’m not good enough yet to make a metal bolster. Things start to add up pretty quick.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I wouldn’t mind having a western Watanabe honyaki!

62bimage.jpeg

Watanabe 180 Gyuto with western carbon fibre handle...no bolster on the Watanabe western handles.

I saw that linked post. Im into that, I don’t think it’s herasy. In fact I love that thing. I’m just trying to factor in the cost of a custom order, plus getting someone to make a handle. I’m not good enough yet to make a metal bolster. Things start to add up pretty quick.

Maybe you could contact Sin to see if he would make you a 240mm version of one of his carbon fiber westerns. Bolsterless would be awesome I think.

Hiromoto honyaki western 240. Mine is nice and mighty at the spine and it is now thinned behind the edge. A very pleasant surprise!

Those full tang Itonomonn’s weren’t nearly as good as the rest of the initial itonomonn offerings IMO. the blade profile/grind and angle of the handle didn’t suit my tastes.

You could just wait three years for a Billipp like I did and then realize your gyuto hunt was finally over and then feel fulfilled yet oddly empty afterwards because a six year long journey was at an end [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

Back