What do you use your stainless knives for?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
I know Labor recommends stainless pettys, and Panda has a stainless knife in his kit.
I've thought of getting one for salsa prep as it's loaded with acidic ingredients. And sometimes it's nice to be lazy or its inconvenient to wipe of your knife, like with the Thanksgiving Turkey where you might leave the used knife on the board.
I've heard others talk about using one for fruit.

What do you use your stainless knives for?

for me its not about specific tasks. i only use stainless when i know i wont be able to keep eyes on it. not always possible to keep it dry all the time in a busy kitchen.
my most used one is a discontinued yoshikane that is still carbon but has stainless cladding. my other one is my beater, misono moly series (thanks daveb) at home i only use a penguin thai knife. had a global before that i would call room-mate proof knife.

I am just like you: I use it usually when I am to lazy to wipe or clean the knife immediately. If I do serious cooking I usually go to my carbon as I prefer hefty knives. My SS are all laserish.

Canning season. I can a lot, and I mean a lot of tomatoes. I sometimes get sidetracked by other kitchen tasks and I don't want to worry about carbon. I can other things too. I is just easier to go maintenance free as I might run out to the garden or throw some scraps to the chickens or have a glass of ice tea on the porch. :D

Also, for when I am simply feeling lazy in the kitchen or if I need to loan a knife to another person. Then my Misono or Fuji stainless knives come out.

Canning season. I can a lot, and I mean a lot of tomatoes. I sometimes get sidetracked by other kitchen tasks and I don't want to worry about carbon. I can other things too. I is just easier to go maintenance free as I might run out to the garden or throw some scraps to the chickens or have a glass of ice tea on the porch. :D

Also, for when I am simply feeling lazy in the kitchen or if I need to loan a knife to another person. Then my Misono or Fuji stainless knives come out.

What is the tomato knife?

Yeah. Sometimes I smash stuff with them, but I'd definitely say that there's a predisposition towards cutting.

Judging by their geometry most of the German knives actually are intended for smashing stuff rather than cutting...

You only need a stainless blade for specific tasks if your carbon steel reacts strongly when cutting fruit. If you have carbon blades that don't have strong reactivity to acids then you may find yourself switching on a whim. Rust buildup rate can be another factor too.

You only need a stainless blade for specific tasks if your carbon steel reacts strongly when cutting fruit. If you have carbon blades that don't have strong reactivity to acids then you may find yourself switching on a whim. Rust buildup rate can be another factor too.

Or to justify all of the knives in our collections! ;)

work, for the most part. the only carbon gyuto I have today is a ks, and that is monosteel, no iron clad knives at work at least for the time being. i like my stainless knives as much as my carbons, and they are great for what I need.
it also seems that my nicer knives are all carbon, and I feel less inclined to use them at work.

Limes, pickles, all the really acidic stuff. And stuff where there is much non-cutting work in between and the knife can stay on the board. And when the most suitable knife happens to be one in VG10 :)

when i had a honyaki in white steel, my favorite thing to cut with it were lemons. it just obliterates right through the seeds like it was soft. quite an experience.
until you adopt a habit of saving seeds. Then these sharp works of art start to become a nightmare [emoji24]

when i had a honyaki in white steel, my favorite thing to cut with it were lemons. it just obliterates right through the seeds like it was soft. quite an experience.

Right I used carbon blades for everything at work including lemons, tomatoes, and cases of pineapple.

I use my functional (albeit nvg?) stainless knives all the time.
I cook most of the day and do not have time to fondle/caress "princess" knives during food prep.
Don't know of many kitchens that would actually put up with anyone devoting any substantial time to their carbon princess knifes during prep.
Blasphemer here, I am!

I use carbon or stainless blade to .... cut food.
More seriously: I use one or the other without distinction. Only when (i) I am in the garden cutting few thing next to the BBQ, and (ii) when I cut more than 2 Kg of oignons I make sure I use stainless.

Back