Hello from SoCal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Reaction score
Hi All,
Made my first and last knife many years ago, I just did not have the skill.
However I have a nice collection of mainly custom made field knives.
I really do appreciate a nice sharp knife in the kitchen but I have no fancy ones yet.

Let's see how it goes once influenced by all of you here!

Welcome. What is your favorite field knife?

Thanks for the welcome.
I was very fortunate to know the late Rob Brown (I am ex Rhodesia and ex SA) and have a number of his drop point hunters. My favorite though are a sub hilt fighter and an exquisite Fairbairn Sykes.
None of them have seen any use, they are pure collectors pieces.

Hi Ivang. Looks like you have a nice collection of toys.
Mine are real toys, Wusthof Grand Prix II, a Ken Onion rain series and that's about it!!
Sharpening consists of a Spyderco sharpmaker and a few home made strops.
If you feel so inclined I would love to see your collection of goodies.

Welcome

You should have an easy day with a kitchen knife. Study the Onion, noting the profile, the geometry and especially the distal taper. And then do everything different.

I hear you. That Onion santiltiy knife gets the least use around the kitchen. Not mentioned the strange rain finish is a rust magnet.

My wife ordered one of these

I know, I know but hard to beat $4 delivered. I just butchered a whole 30lb top round roast with this knife straight out of the box without the need to resharpen half way through.
Really made life easy. You can only imagine what I must have been using before. I do this about once a month.
What this cheap exercise did tell me was that size wise, 8" works great. I touched up the edge to shaving sharp afterwards ready for next time in the event that I have not picked up something better before then.

Back