Chosera 10k v Jyunpaku 8k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey59

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here has directly compared these two stones, and has anything to say about their relative feel
and fineness? I have the Jyunpaku, and have thought about trying to chase down a Chosera 10k if it's significantly finer,
and has a similar or better feel.

I have tried both and it really boils down to personal preference and your inclination towards crazy hone addiction.
The Chosera 10k is overpriced in my opinion. It does a good job after the Chosera 5k and leaves a level of polish that is acceptable but not perfect. There are, in my opinion, better polishers out there. Naniwa superstone, or speciality, are better in that regard. The speciality 8k and 10k are a recipe for black liquid mercury polish free of scratches under the 10x loupe if you are capable of it, at a portion of the cost.

The kitayama 8k does hold itself surprisingly well in that regard, too. And so do the Shapton glass stone HC 8k (grey) for high carbon and the glass stone 8k HR (white) for stainless, too (note, the grey one feels nicer, the white one is the better overall stone).

Feel: speciality stones are soft and can be cut into. Glass Stones are not for everybody as they feel very hard and without much feedback. The kitayama feels nice. The Chosera 10k feels really good, actually

Now for the junpaku 8k, it does a nice job as well. So don’t expect any surprises from going past it if you’re not planning to shave off of it

I have tried both and it really boils down to personal preference and your inclination towards crazy hone addiction.
The Chosera 10k is overpriced in my opinion. It does a good job after the Chosera 5k and leaves a level of polish that is acceptable but not perfect. There are, in my opinion, better polishers out there. Naniwa superstone, or speciality, are better in that regard. The speciality 8k and 10k are a recipe for black liquid mercury polish free of scratches under the 10x loupe if you are capable of it, at a portion of the cost.

The kitayama 8k does hold itself surprisingly well in that regard, too. And so do the Shapton glass stone HC 8k (grey) for high carbon and the glass stone 8k HR (white) for stainless, too (note, the grey one feels nicer, the white one is the better overall stone).

Feel: speciality stones are soft and can be cut into. Glass Stones are not for everybody as they feel very hard and without much feedback. The kitayama feels nice. The Chosera 10k feels really good, actually

Now for the junpaku 8k, it does a nice job as well. So don’t expect any surprises from going past it if you’re not planning to shave off of it

Thanks very much for that comprehensive post. I should have mentioned that the job is sharpening kanna for softwood finish work.
I've had a Kitayama before and it felt rubbery to me. I tend to like stones that I can feel cutting, like the Jyunpaku. Trying to stay away from Shaptons; I've kind of had my fill of them, even though they can work okay. I'll look at the Specialty stones you mentioned, and maybe the Imanishi 10k as well, since soft is not an issue at the moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but imanishi makes the kitayama which is at times referred to as a 10k stone, no? Which imanishi 10k are you referring to?

He is probably referring to the 10k at CKTG. I have never used it but I have been told it is even softer than the Kitayama. That is too soft, even for me.

He is probably referring to the 10k at CKTG. I have never used it but I have been told it is even softer than the Kitayama. That is too soft, even for me.
Hahahahaha. No thanks. Maybe for polishing a bevel? But I prefer hard finishers for apex work and I have the sigma 13k which works really well for polishing and blending single bevels.

I have had he Imanishi 10k as well, it is a white stone that feels a bit funny. Not necessarily what I prefer. Performance is good, it polishes nicely. But if you like that unrelenting cutting sensation of the Chosera (resistance is futile!) then stay with them. The junpaku can be regarded as the funny cousin of the Chosera anyway. But still, don’t expect miracles from the Chosera 10k, even tough it does feel nice and is in line with the other Chosera (which you have tried, no?)

If you want to go absolutely crazy, you can have a look at the gokumyo series from suehiro. These come in grits up to 20k and are fast and stupid hard. But expensive, too

Hahahahaha. No thanks. Maybe for polishing a bevel? But I prefer hard finishers for apex work and I have the sigma 13k which works really well for polishing and blending single bevels.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. But I like my naturals for polishing.

Thanks for the additional replies. It sounds like the white Imanishi 10k is a no-go, as well. I like the Jyunpaku, but as has been pointed out, it really cuts... and sometimes it seems like too much, though I get good edges with it. Maybe this Sigma Power 13k is worth trying. Any comments on its feel?

I have had he Imanishi 10k as well, it is a white stone that feels a bit funny. Not necessarily what I prefer. Performance is good, it polishes nicely. But if you like that unrelenting cutting sensation of the Chosera (resistance is futile!) then stay with them. The junpaku can be regarded as the funny cousin of the Chosera anyway. But still, don’t expect miracles from the Chosera 10k, even tough it does feel nice and is in line with the other Chosera (which you have tried, no?)

The only Chosera I have, or have tried, is the 3k.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. But I like my naturals for polishing.
Depends on my mood I guess. I like naturals, too but sometimes for my ginsan single bevels I'd rather just give it a no scratch finish off a synthetic.

@lesslemming the nice thing about the specialty stone polish is that it is also rather rust-proof on carbon :)

Thanks for the additional replies. It sounds like the white Imanishi 10k is a no-go, as well. I like the Jyunpaku, but as has been pointed out, it really cuts... and sometimes it seems like too much, though I get good edges with it. Maybe this Sigma Power 13k is worth trying. Any comments on its feel?

I might sound crazy, but I have had the sigma 13k as well. I really liked it. Better than the Imanishi 10k in terms of feedback and slightly cleaner polish under the loupe. Not as soft as the speciality but nowhere near as hard as the Shapton.
This may be an option for you to consider besides the Chosera 10k and it's a lot cheaper.
It doesn’t cut as brutally as the junpaku, though. Then again, why should it? It’s a final finisher :)

That being said, all the stones I have described can make a man or a woman happy. It boils down to personal preference... I guess that’s why I had to try them all at some point in time. Just the Gukomyo has eluded me so far. Only had it for a day to test and that wasn’t enough

Do you have need to stay in that 8k+ range? The finest synth I tend to use is the Sigma Jinzo Renge Suita 6k - better tactile feedback than the Jyunpaku 8k by a good margin in my estimation.

Do you have need to stay in that 8k+ range? The finest synth I tend to use is the Sigma Jinzo Renge Suita 6k - better tactile feedback than the Jyunpaku 8k by a good margin in my estimation.

To answer your question, I don't know, because grit numbers don't mean that much after a point, I have found;
really no substitute for getting the particular stone and tool in hand.
I am trying to get my hands on the Sigma 6k you've mentioned right now, and am glad to hear yet more good things
about it.

Can you say a bit more about the difference between the HR and HC Shaptons? My tools are not especially hard to sharpen,
mostly being BS #1 or #2, and a couple of WS #1 VAR. Going off on a middle-stone tangent here, but I'm thinking of getting a 6k.

TIA.

I'm wondering what you're wanting to do here. Are you just looking for polish or for sharpness?

For brightness of core steel the superstone 10k is the way to go. For cutting edge I'd think a harder stone would be the way to go as it's harder and will likely dish less during sharpening which will allow for a more "perfect" bevel. I'd really like to point out that the superstone is a very SOFT feeling stone for its fineness and that's the main reason why i suggest if cutting performance is your only desire that the chosera would beat it out marginally.

Th Shapton HC (grey) are designated stones specifically for high carbon steel... but I guess most of its marketing BS. The matter of the fact is the white HC are cutting monsters, even up to 30k they still cut and there is hardly a difference between soft or hard steel. I can use the HCfor a normal garden variety White Paper or HAP40. Doesn’t matter a lot. The HC grey come in 4, 6 and 8k. I had them all, sold them in favor for the whites, and recently got the 4 and the 8k back in addition to my full white set.

I bought them for the silly reason that my Shapton HC are now strictly reserved for razor sharpening and I wanted something else for my kitchen knives. There is a fair difference between them though. The grey HC feel a lot better than the HC, they are a tad softer and have less cutting strength. While there is nothing wrong with the level of polish possible with the HR, the grey HC polish better. So, they are slower, more gentle and feel a little better.
I am very happy with the 4k - 8k Progression BTW.

I'm wondering what you're wanting to do here. Are you just looking for polish or for sharpness?

For brightness of core steel the superstone 10k is the way to go. For cutting edge I'd think a harder stone would be the way to go as it's harder and will likely dish less during sharpening which will allow for a more "perfect" bevel. I'd really like to point out that the superstone is a very SOFT feeling stone for its fineness and that's the main reason why i suggest if cutting performance is your only desire that the chosera would beat it out marginally.

In this case the cutting edge is my only concern. I had a Superstone 10k and didn't like it; hated it actually.
Soft, gummy, grabby on tools, though as you and other have said, a fine polisher. It got sold cheap. ;)

Th Shapton HC (grey) are designated stones specifically for high carbon steel... but I guess most of its marketing BS. The matter of the fact is the white HC are cutting monsters, even up to 30k they still cut and there is hardly a difference between soft or hard steel. I can use the HCfor a normal garden variety White Paper or HAP40. Doesn’t matter a lot. The HC grey come in 4, 6 and 8k. I had them all, sold them in favor for the whites, and recently got the 4 and the 8k back in addition to my full white set.

I bought them for the silly reason that my Shapton HC are now strictly reserved for razor sharpening and I wanted something else for my kitchen knives. There is a fair difference between them though. The grey HC feel a lot better than the HC, they are a tad softer and have less cutting strength. While there is nothing wrong with the level of polish possible with the HR, the grey HC polish better. So, they are slower, more gentle and feel a little better.
I am very happy with the 4k - 8k Progression BTW.

Thanks for this post. Good info.

For what it's worth... the Junpaku is a magnesium stone. So in theory I would expect it to be closer to the Chosera (also magnesium) than the Super stones (resinoid).
Haven't actually used it myself so... dash of salt.

Thanks for this post. Good info.

You’re welcome, but I mixed up HC and HR in my post once or twice. The HC are grey and softer/ slower and best used for garden variety high carbon steel. The HR are white and cutting monsters. They are hard and don’t feel super nice for knives and tools, but are excellent for razors. Just to clarify what I meant ^^

You’re welcome, but I mixed up HC and HR in my post once or twice. The HC are grey and softer/ slower and best used for garden variety high carbon steel. The HR are white and cutting monsters. They are hard and don’t feel super nice for knives and tools, but are excellent for razors. Just to clarify what I meant ^^

Yeah, I knew what you meant. Thanks though.

Back