Syscoware Carving Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varuscelli

Reaction score
A little while back, I was looking around for a decently long carving knife for brisket and ran across this long-unused one in a box of old knives at my folks' house.

It's a 12-inch blade, granton edge, Syscoware knife. It's got some weight to it at about 8.4 ounces/236 grams and a very solid feel. It was pretty dull when I found it but sharpened up nicely. I tried searching for Syscoware carving knives just to see if I could find any history on it, but I came up blank on image searches, eBay, etc. I got a few hits for Dexter-Russell knives when I searched for Syscoware and some similar carving knives that fall under Sysco, but never found an exact match for this one.

I'm not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing maybe from sometime in the 80s. Anyone have any insights into this particular knife or line of knives?

IMG_7078b.jpg

IMG_7080b.jpg

IMG_7079b.jpg

I believe Sysco Food Services still sells knives under the Syscoware name, at least they were still doing it maybe five years or so ago.

Thanks. I'm thinking this is something that would fall under the category of a restaurant-supply kind of knife (given the Sysco name). It might not amount to much of anything (value-wise or whatever) as far as slicing knives go, but I'll see how it does once I'm working with a large enough hunk of meat to need a 12-inch carver.

Looks pretty run of the mill....but that doesn't mean it compeltely sucks. I have a cheap filleting knife from a restaurant store that for some reason just won't leave my knife collection because it's too functional. Starts losing sharpness after about 5 cuts... but other than that surprisingly nice. That's usually where these house-brand knives drop the ball: they're often made of cheaper metals so edge retention suffers. If you only use it every once in a blue moon that's not necessarily problematic.

The interesting thing is, it has an actual Granton edge from the looks of it...

The interesting thing is, it has an actual Granton edge from the looks of it...

Yes it does, for what it's worth.

I still find it interesting that I haven't been able to find a match for it in any Google image searches or the like. Seems like there would be others like it floating around out there, but all I've found are similar carving knives (nothing that's an exact match).

Back