Quantcast
Anyone use orchids for plate decoration?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use orchids for plate decoration?

Anyone use orchids for plate decoration?

While personally not a fan of this, my boss likes to buy orchid stems and use the blooms on certain plates for decoration. The orchids are quite "thick" and hearty so they can be washed off and saved and re-used a few times.

I'm trying to cut costs and I see a few sites selling loose orchid blooms from thailand and from hawaii, just wondering if anyone knows about how well these products work? This is one of those things where I have googled and googled and just can't find any review on anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also any other suggestions for other flowers you use?

Edible or reusable or do you not care?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

don't care about edible. reusuable is necessary unless they are cheap enough to just discard.

However, if you use edible flowers I would be interested to know how and what just for the sake of knowing.

No. Non edible non functional garnish is a waste of time and money. Even edible orchids are a waste. They're kitschy and very bitter. They don't belong on the plate. Can you tell I hate them yet?

The old sous chef at my place 5 years ago swore by them and I had to use them at the time. He was fired and I took his job 4 years ago. Coincidence?

Just go with any micro greens. Amaranth, bulls blood, rainbow mix whatever. Anything but the orchid!!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    don't care about edible. reusuable is necessary unless they are cheap enough to just discard.

However, if you use edible flowers I would be interested to know how and what just for the sake of knowing.
    violets, carnations, mums, nasturtiams( may not have spelled that right) pansy's, daisies, squash blossoms, roses all edible.

Agreed that if it is not edible it does not belong on the plate.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    violets, carnations, mums, nasturtiams( may not have spelled that right) pansy's, daisies, squash blossoms, roses all edible.
    But do you want to eat a raw squash blossom?
    Non-edible garnishes are very annoying, no point in them being on the plate IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    But do you want to eat a raw squash blossom?
    Non-edible garnishes are very annoying, no point in them being on the plate IMO.
    no. I don't eat that stuff most flowers are bitter and taste like ****, but he did ask what other edible flowers we use.

Engorged Member
    We'd use chocolate orchid flowers with chocolate lava cake. people ate it up but i thought it was stupid.

+ Reply to Thread