Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Aritsugu A-type?

Whatever happened to Aritsugu A-type?

Hey guys,

Whatever happened to Aritusugu A-type? Is that soooo 3 years ago? I just thought about it when I was posting at KF - but I figure that over here it might get more response - especially b/c I'm sure that Dave has sharpened his fair share of A-types. So do they live up to their hype? Are they tougher than anything else out there? Semi-stainless, right? And at 240, they're not super-thick. Souns like a winner, no?

I had one and ended up selling it. I've no idea if the steel is as awesome as it's cracked up to be, simply because the profile was such that I never really used it. It's super easy to keep an edge if all you do is sit in a knife block. For me, the profile was just too dead flat, and the angle of attack was wrong... I just didn't like the shape of the blade.

There are discussions of it here and there, mostly about how much it needs to be thinned behind the edge.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Its a monster of a knife, the steel gets a real aggressive edge and its a real pain to sharpen for the first time since it comes with no edge whatsoever and the steel is real abrasive resistant. As mentioned for it to shine it has to be thinned and well good luck with that.

BUT! if you put the work into it you will reap the rewards of a good knife. You can also just purchase something like a HD or other tool steel knife and skip the whole thinning shenanigans. I guess it really so last 3 years.

i think the 270 was indeed a monster - extremely thick. But the 240, from what I recall was as thin as Suisin at the spine - maybe a little beefier behind the edge, but nothing like the 270. With all this talk, I kind of want to get a 240 to check it out ... and if i'm in over my head, i can always have our local expert work his magic ...

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    i think the 270 was indeed a monster - extremely thick. But the 240, from what I recall was as thin as Suisin at the spine - maybe a little beefier behind the edge, but nothing like the 270. With all this talk, I kind of want to get a 240 to check it out ... and if i'm in over my head, i can always have our local expert work his magic ...
    IIRC, Dave no longer accepts thinning jobs for A-types because they are so time consuming.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    IIRC, Dave no longer accepts thinning jobs for A-types because they are so time consuming.
    Yes this is true.....and I'm happy to have made that decision.

I still have, use and enjoy my 240 A-type. It isn't absurdly thick at the spine (just over 2 mm) but that is thicker than you might expect when the knife is 45 mm tall. If it was 50+ mm tall at the heel, it would feel significantly thinner. The steel is wear resistant but it doesn't seem as much so as everyone makes it out to be. The edge also seems to deform more easily than I expected at the reported ~60 hrc. Sometime later, someone (Rottman, I believe.) tested it at 58 hrc and also tested the composition which proved to be fairly unremarkable, if I recall correctly. It was a pretty clean carbon steel with a fair bit of chromium in it. I learned a lot about geometry by essentially using this knife as a blank to slowly make my own custom knife. I'd grind some and test and grind and test, etc. ...a very cool experience.

I have a 210mm which I have sharpened to 99/1 at 10-degrees. It took about an hour or maybe a bit more... it is a great performer.

that was a fairly informative post - i seem to remember that post now that you mention it. thanks for reminding me.