Hinoki cutting board in Tokyo?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Will be there, just wondering if its worth the effort to find a good quality board and lug it back with me. Where to look and prices?

I definitely like hinoki boards, they are soft and easy on your knife edges.

I got four made at 16x12x1, after shipping and all other fees I paid $300 for all four.

+ they smell great!

I first found them on Alibabatrade.com, I think the seller was PO's Factory but I can no longer for the link.

I still have the e-mail address for the person who helped me get these to Canada.

PM me and I can help you get in touch with someone who can help you.

I definitely like hinoki boards, they are soft and easy on your knife edges.

I got four made at 16x12x1, after shipping and all other fees I paid $300 for all four.

+ they smell great!

:bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek:

I was given 10 or so slabs of premium grade hinoki (quarter sawn, straight grain, close rings, etc.), any of which would make 2-3 boards of that size.

Not joined, solid pieces...

Yikes. I knew the stuff was good. Didn't know it was like gold.

Stu.

:bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek::bigeek:

I was given 10 or so slabs of premium grade hinoki (quarter sawn, straight grain, close rings, etc.), any of which would make 2-3 boards of that size.

Not joined, solid pieces...

Yikes. I knew the stuff was good. Didn't know it was like gold.

Stu.

Pics please, or this wood is as mythical as a three-headed, lime green unicorn.

:razz:

Shun sells a 18x12x1 hinoki board for $150 a piece.

I though I was doing good getting 4 of them for $300.

Pics please, or this wood is as mythical as a three-headed, lime green unicorn.

:razz:

Don't hold your breath. I have much better things to do than spend an hour driving to and from my workshop to take pictures to only satisfy some faceless, nameless individual on the interweb. :razz:

Sorry.

If I think of it next time I'm there, I'll take them but by that time this thread will probably be banished to the archives.

Stu.

(Who's also got a 1/4 ton of beech in that workshop, amongst other things...)

Latest posts

Back