New Konosuke Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meesterleester

Reaction score
I have seen the new honyaki on instagram and have seen some discussion on other forums. It looks like a really nice blade and the company is well respected. I know trade secrets are secret for a reason and I am not asking who forged or sharpened, but wth that said I don’t understand the allure regarding this honyaki, specifically the price (2700 usd is what I saw?)

So I’m asking is this a particularly different style or process? Maybe is it that it is a rustic (still incredible) looking honyaki(?) when compared to mirror polished, or mt. Fuji hamon? Or is it the unknown craftsmen that make it special? I don’t know.

Please don’t read this as bashing, I do think the knife is spectacular and probably will never own one. I would like a bit more information, if any, and some of the thoughts from others here.

So I’m asking is this a particularly different style or process?

its not unheard of for a honyaki to be $2k
and konosuke probably trades higher...
just because of hype...
so 1.5x market price
seems possible

It's one thing to spend $400ish on a knife from an unknown smith and/or sharpener. It's entirely another to do it for $2700.

It's one thing to spend $400ish on a knife from an unknown smith and/or sharpener.
As a side note, weren't the knives that made konosuke famous even cheaper?

As a side note, weren't the knives that made konosuke famous even cheaper?

I have one of their "lasers" the Konosuke HD2 which got a lot of attention (and was reasonably priced) and a few of the Konosuke Fujiyama's which at the price I paid for them seemed reasonable and they have a very nice fit and finish. On topic there are no knives worth $2700 USD in my opinion as a home cook (not a collector).

I have one of their "lasers" the Konosuke HD2 which got a lot of attention (and was reasonably priced) and a few of the Konosuke Fujiyama's which at the price I paid for them seemed reasonable and they have a very nice fit and finish. On topic there are no knives worth $2700 USD in my opinion as a home cook (not a collector).

I agree about the price. But if I were a collector is there anything here that makes it valuable/collectible? besides making one and getting a lot of likes on social media.

Actually, imagine a year or two from now...those $2700 honyakis will be resold for hundreds of dollars more because of the scarcity. Hell, maybe even $3700.

I was wondering what the price of those will be. $2700 makes no sense, half that much would still be too much. If everything is held secret, than the secret remains to be the only value driver apart from the looks (which is nice but nothing extraordinary). Unless I am mistaken, than the only information shared is that the steel is ‘old’. So maybe it is the low radiation that makes them so special.

EDIT: I got things mixed up with another Konosuke knives. These are blue#2 and I do not know how labor intensive is the Nihonto polishing.

Yeah, $2700, not for me. That is 10 knives or 10 stones for me to try. :p I suppose it is a matter of preference though.

Understand polish is part of high labor cost. I am curious how many that honyaki they want to release. Maybe they want to make it super limited edition. Lol

Is Nihonto the traditional sword polishing method?

It does seem like they are making more but just releasing one at a time. Really all of the knives that they seem to be making now are nothing like the previous lines and really don’t seem like the classic Sakai style (the mm availble at cktg specifically).

That one is already sold, lottery and all because of demand.

Konosuke isn’t what they once were. They were nice for the dollar years ago, recently for some reason they think they’re in the Shig and Kato class. I pretty much just laugh off what they are putting out today. Until they start recognizing the craftsmen they use, I’ll never buy another.

This new Kono honyaki is a case where you need to win 2 lotteries to get it [emoji6]

First there has to be desire to own. I have no desire. I have 2 Honyakis that I think are far nicer that I paid over 1000 dollars less for. I’m sure this just a passing fad that konosuke is trying to milk.

Konosuke honyaki are usually forged by well known smiths and has their kanji so it's not a secret who. Collectors will definitely figure it out. The polish they put on their limited edition knives are stunning but it also means the first time you use them, they lose value as a collector item. Plenty of people looking for drawer queens and they aren't making many so maybe not for you but kono knows their market

Konosuke honyaki are usually forged by well known smiths and has their kanji so it's not a secret who. Collectors will definitely figure it out. The polish they put on their limited edition knives are stunning but it also means the first time you use them, they lose value as a collector item. Plenty of people looking for drawer queens and they aren't making many so maybe not for you but kono knows their market

While I realize everyone is different I totally don't understand the concept of not using a tool. Same with toys and keeping them in their box. Didn't understand it as a kid and don't understand it now. Sure, they may go up in value in the future but I may be dead by then so I will enjoy them now...lol.

I agree Kit - the craftsmen out there make their best product and to have it sitting in a drawer or on a shelf just seems wrong. It took me all of 3 minutes to get my cutting board out and use my Kato Workhorse, just saying!

I agree Kit - the craftsmen out there make their best product and to have it sitting in a drawer or on a shelf just seems wrong. It took me all of 3 minutes to get my cutting board out and use my Kato Workhorse, just saying!

To be fair though, the new Konosuke honyaki is 3-4 times as expensive as a Kato workhorse with a nice polish (at least, it looks nice on the pictures), and those workhorse are not exactly well finished :doublethumbsup:

To be fair though, the new Konosuke honyaki is 3-4 times as expensive as a Kato workhorse with a nice polish (at least, it looks nice on the pictures), and those workhorse are not exactly well finished :doublethumbsup:

Still should be cutting stuff with it. :D

People don't buy Katos for the finish (or the kanji). Sad but I think both often wind up not being used...

People don't buy Katos for the finish (or the kanji). Sad but I think both often wind up not being used...
True (although I've used all but my duplicate Katos), but super finished knives tend to discourage potential users more than relatively down to earth finishes as people worry they will never be able to make it look as good again.

True (although I've used all but my duplicate Katos), but super finished knives tend to discourage potential users more than relatively down to earth finishes as people worry they will never be able to make it look as good again.

Maybe that is why TF finish is the way it is, to encourage use? :rofl2:

Back