• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Something different for the wood workers. Veritas DX60 low angle block plane.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
I've had this one for a while now and used it maybe 5 or 6 times so it's not really doing anything. It comes with two A2 blades, one at 25 degrees and the other at 30 degrees so you have one blade for end grain and one for along the grain planing. Both blades have a tiny back bevel. Why flatten the entire back every time you sharpen it when the only thing you need is a tiny back bevel, it's a much faster way of sharpening. One nice side effect of this method is that the back bevel creates a slightly steeper angle on the blade making the edge stronger but it doesn't change the effective cutting angle. As you can see the bare cast iron of the plane has light grey colour. This is the result of a hot vinegar bath. This process creates a thin oxide layer which prevents further rusting. I always do this with a plane and they're all still completely rust free, some of them even after nearly 20 years of use. And it looks nice as well. The price is $180 or €146 and shipping is $32 world wide and €13 within the EU. Given the fact it's been used just a few times and you get an extra blade with it I think this is a reasonable price.

lxQnb4i.jpg

mUpKOpl.jpg

4CbsOlC.jpg

Back