Quantcast
J style paring knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J style paring knife

J style paring knife

I have never really seen anything like this before, figured i would do one for fun. This is a gift for someone. It is 75mm blade length with a 100mm handle. blade is 70mm thick and has a little bit of flex but not much. Handle is Honey locust burl, with a black spacer and a Thuya burl ferrule.

It is kind of a novelty thing to me, but this thing is wicked! Sharp little shank...errr paring knife

What do you guys think?
    Mike

Gorgeous knife. I really like it

beautiful!

Steak knife. Really great steak knife.

Thanks guys Still have some hand sanding to do and a few more coats of oil, but i will admit, this was pretty fun! I can see me doing more of these in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Steak knife. Really great steak knife.
    +1 Albeit kinda short for that purpose. A paring knife needs to be more of a spearhead-shape. I also don't understand the dimensions you posted. Something about large wa-handles (relative to the blade) bothers me. I haven't seen a ~3" wa-paring I like the look of.

Mike make the handle a bit smaller, so the knife is more versatile in a hand. I also think D shape handles fit better smaller type knives. Shun Classic or Elite paring is a good example. Just a suggestion.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I think it would look a little better if it was just a couple mm wider, a six knife set of those would be the end all of steak knives.

I'm of the opinion that it matters only aesthetically if a little handle is sticking out of the bottom of your hand as you use the knife (in hand). If using for another task other than peeling in hand, etc....I can't really think of any detriment to having a long handle. Maybe I'm missing something? Although I'm aware how much it means to have a "perfect" design, this looks really amazing to me....I dream of having the skill to pull something like this off.. great job Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by macmiddlebrooks View Post
    I dream of having the skill to pull something like this off.. great job Mike!
    +1 I really envy you knifemakers. Awesome job Mike!

+ Reply to Thread