J style paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I have never really seen anything like this before, figured i would do one for fun. This is a gift for someone. It is 75mm blade length with a 100mm handle. blade is 70mm thick and has a little bit of flex but not much. Handle is Honey locust burl, with a black spacer and a Thuya burl ferrule.
P1030761.jpg

It is kind of a novelty thing to me, but this thing is wicked! Sharp little shank...errr paring knife :)

What do you guys think?
Mike

Gorgeous knife. I really like it

Thanks guys :) Still have some hand sanding to do and a few more coats of oil, but i will admit, this was pretty fun! I can see me doing more of these in the future.

Steak knife. Really great steak knife.
+1 Albeit kinda short for that purpose. A paring knife needs to be more of a spearhead-shape. I also don't understand the dimensions you posted. Something about large wa-handles (relative to the blade) bothers me. I haven't seen a ~3" wa-paring I like the look of.

Mike make the handle a bit smaller, so the knife is more versatile in a hand. I also think D shape handles fit better smaller type knives. Shun Classic or Elite paring is a good example. Just a suggestion.

M

I think it would look a little better if it was just a couple mm wider, a six knife set of those would be the end all of steak knives.

I'm of the opinion that it matters only aesthetically if a little handle is sticking out of the bottom of your hand as you use the knife (in hand). If using for another task other than peeling in hand, etc....I can't really think of any detriment to having a long handle. Maybe I'm missing something? Although I'm aware how much it means to have a "perfect" design, this looks really amazing to me....I dream of having the skill to pull something like this off.. great job Mike!

Thanks guys! Tinh, I had never seen a wa parer before, thought it would be a fun thing to do :) I am planning a set of steak knives similar to this.
Better pics.
2011-11-15_21-39-45_500.jpg

2011-11-15_21-40-15_200.jpg

Thanks for commenting guys :)

Mike

Somehow I missed the length reference of you knife. :)

I thought yours was about this size (pic is a courtesy of Gator), but it much smaller.

wtncsbk01.jpg

Wow, that knife looks really awesome in the hand! Like a mini dagger or something.

I think its very pretty, handle included. I imagine a delicate knife for delicate purposes and in hand cutting could work well with a short rounded handle, like a small wood carving blade, could look really cool with a ferrule and a bit different, might have to try one myself:)

That is strikingly similar to a knife I aquired years ago. I use it all the time for numerous tasks. great small knife with the heft of a large.

While we wrestle with the rules of who can do what and whatever with regards to hobbyists and knifemakers this thread is being shut down. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I was wondering when this thread would get ressurected.

Me too, I wanted to ask about this earlier but found it to late.

-Chuck

Steel is 15N20 in .075 thickness. Maybe the handle is a touch large...Maybe i will scale the next one down and give it a try.

I dunno. With such a tiny blade, the handle is gonna look huge, regardless.

I wouldn't scale it down to much. There is also going to be a point where a handle will feel awkward and uncomfortable in hand... I think you have a good size. It just looks big because it is a small pairing knife and I don't think people know what to expect. The picture where you are holding the knife makes the handle look perfect size in my opinion.

-Chuck

I photoshoped that little devil to my liking. What do you guys think?

ORIGINAL
2011-11-15_21-40-15_200.jpg

PHOTOSHOPED
image1ff.jpg

I actually like it. I think i will make one like that now lol.

Latest posts

Back