Suggestions on choosing my next knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benren

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum here. I've been reading up on the forum a few hours here and there between work, the 4 kids and family chores. Decided to start posting and maybe get some help on choosing my next knife.

I'm a gardener for the city where I live, hand tool woodworker hobbyist and love to cook for the family.

My wife had a Global Nakiri that we've been using for a long time, recently decided to get a knife for me since the chef's knife I had for myself was a cheap J.A. Henckels that didn't have enough width for decent knuckle clearance. I ended up buying a Bob Kramer Euroline damascus santoku on eBay for half the retail price because it was a demo and had no box. I have to say I love the most of the aspects of the knife, I enjoy the big handle and rounded spine. The things I don't like about it are the way the damascus finish rubs and grabs on starchy foods and the fact that I don't have as much distal taper as I'd like (mostly because it's a santoku I guess). I don't mind the weight and the fact that it's handle heavy a bit but would like something different from my next purchase.

So here is the full questionnaire for my next purchase.

- Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
-Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
-Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
-Preferably 210mm but 240mm is an option

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-No but would prefer stain resistant or clad knife

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
-200$ US

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-Home for the family of 6

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
-Mostly vegetable prep and slicing meat.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
-Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
-Mostly push-cut, with some slicing, drawing and rocking.

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
-More distal taper, nimble feel, better food release, less grabby finish than the damascus on my Bob Kramer santoku. I favor sharpness over edge retention on this purchase. Blade must have a decent width (blade height at heel) 45mm minimum for good knuckle clearance.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
-Mable edge grain boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives?
-Yes and interested in learning more about sharpening.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
-Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I had my eyes on a 240mm CarboNext gyuto, 210mm Deep impact gyuto or 210mm KAGAYAKI Blue Steel No.2 Clad Series. All from JCK.
Any comments on these knives and other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks everyone!

I'll take a stab but will note that my experience with western handle J-knives is limited to mainly carbon...Misono dragon and Fujiwara fkh. Both are quality knives but neither fit your requirement (both are monosteel knives) with the Misono being a bit higher quality steel. My one experience with a western stainless is the Gesshin Kagero which is an incredible blade but unfortunately falls a bit above your requested budget. Hopefully others with more experience with stainless knives will offer a bit more help than I can...sometimes it just takes a bit of patience.

And btw, welcome to kkf:)

T. fujiwara in 195 at $200 or 210mm Maboroshi is just above $220

clad stainless, western handle, distal taper, scary sharp

not everybody's idea of a starter knife,
but worth throwing it out there...

Thanks for your answers guys. Getting info in my other thread too. I'll take some time to read up on your suggestions and others before I make a buy.

Following suggestions and reading some reviews, I finally upped the budget a bit and ordered a Gesshin Ginga 240mm. Can't wait to get it.

You will absolutely love it.

I sure hope so, it was a bit above the price point I had set for myself, but everyone seems to praise the Ginga on quite a few aspects. I'm also looking forward to working with a 240mm, it'll be my first one. I might need a bit of time to get used to it but I'm sure I'll find it manageable.

I sure hope so, it was a bit above the price point I had set for myself, but everyone seems to praise the Ginga on quite a few aspects. I'm also looking forward to working with a 240mm, it'll be my first one. I might need a bit of time to get used to it but I'm sure I'll find it manageable.
It should feel nimble even for a 240 as they are light (but not too light). Fit and finish will be top notch also, as well as the grind. I've been eyeing one of these for a long, long time but having a 210 gyuto already I can't justify that price (yet) for a 240...of course that will probably change ;)

True, but I have yet to hear of the first person who wasn't happy with their Ginga...
Time for Jon to open that EU-based sattelite!

Back