D. Martell For Sale - 240 Gyuto - Summit Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

240mm Wa Gyuto - Summit

• Model - Gyuto
  • Blade Length - 240mm
  • Steel - CPM154 (powdered stainless)
  • Hardness - Rc 61-62 (with cryo)
  • Height (at heel) - 55mm
  • Weight - 8.2oz (232g)
  • Handle Style - Oval (Wa)
  • Handle Size - 18/22mm x 130mm
  • Handle Materials - Desert Ironwood with nickel silver spacer and ferrule
  • Collection - Summit
  • FREE Lifetime Sharpening included!

Every now & then I feel the need to challenge myself. One of the harder things I've come across to do is to mount a metal bolster to a knife blade through soldering.

This traditional bolster mounting method is difficult to master and rarely seen in today's knife making world. I very much like the look of this feature as it adds a touch of professionalism not seen in simple epoxy joints. Challenging for sure but I feel well worth the effort. :cool2:

This knife is made from CPM154 powdered stainless steel and as a result will remain looking good, have great edge retention, and ease of sharpening.

Food separation will be good, primarily as a result of the convex grind, and also assisted by a forward balance where weight is retained in the upper section of the blade as much as possible.

The spine is nicely tapered, retains strength, and resists flex. The tip is thinly ground for making proper cuts as required.

The oval (wa) handle is made from a straight grain Desert Ironwood with a nickel silver spacer and ferrule. This wood was selected specifically to bring a rich classy appearance to the package.

The handle has been sealed with a varnish/oil finish.

*Please see close up pictures for details.

Price - $725

If interested in purchasing you can either checkout HERE or send me a PM with your email address and location and I'll follow by sending you a Paypal invoice.
thumbsup.gif

P1010002.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010025.JPG

P1010027.JPG

this is your best looking work, tho i think brass would have looked even sexier.

I gotta agree with you. Ironwood and brass are a lovely mix. Nonetheless, this is a masterpiece :)

this is your best looking work, tho i think brass would have looked even sexier.

I gotta agree with you. Ironwood and brass are a lovely mix. Nonetheless, this is a masterpiece :)

Interesting comments on the brass guys, the timing of it really, because I was considering doing that actually. The thing is that I came into knife collecting when brass was looked at as sort of out of fashion with makers so I always have that in my head but it seems to be making a come back these days and has my interest peaked. Cycles I guess? Maybe I'll do brass one day. :)

Thanks for your very kind words.

Dave

Dave, don't listen to those guys, the nickel is a much cleaner look;). I'm seriously thinking of selling my CMP of yours with a western handle to pick this up. What is the handle height and width mid-point?

Dave, don't listen to those guys, the nickel is a much cleaner look;). I'm seriously thinking of selling my CMP of yours with a western handle to pick this up. What is the handle height and width mid-point?

The handle isn't very wide Bill, not like you like them anyway. It measures at 18/22mm (ish) x 130mm

I like nickel better too. Don't like brass.

Maybe I should use mokume and make everyone happy? :D

Bill, here's three more handle pictures to give you a better idea of how the handle is shaped and size.

Don't mind the dust flakes.

P1010006.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010017.JPG

Brass can tarnish, though I think it can look beautiful regardless. American collectors sometimes say that brass has no class, but I don't agree. On the other hand, nickel silver will probably stay looking about the same.

If you want to make mokume, we can take up coin donations for you... ;)

Beautiful work, I like that dark chocolate ironwood.

Handsome knife!

Metal thoughts: Brass bolsters can work beautifully on carbon knives as both blade and bolster patina with time. This is especially true if the knife has a natural wood handle, which will also age gracefully.
This gyuto is so clean looking and stainless so i think that the nickel bolster works best...

My only regret is that it’s not a gyuto. Hahaha.

:doublethumbsup:

Handsome knife!

Metal thoughts: Brass bolsters can work beautifully on carbon knives as both blade and bolster patina with time. This is especially true if the knife has a natural wood handle, which will also age gracefully.
This gyuto is so clean looking and stainless so i think that the nickel bolster works best...

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Handsome knife!

That actually makes total sense... would look off if only either of the two patinas. Looks better when either both patina, or both don't.

Back