3M™ Diamond Microfinishing Film Sheets 675L?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use these diamond sheets for sharpening or stone flattening? I heard that you can stick them to glass or aluminum plates.

Other companies sell this stuff too. There's a whole range of grit sizes available.

I've posted a picture of this stuff in 3" wide roll form but you can get it in sheet form also.

attachment.php

3m diamond.jpg

I have not used them personally, but I know others have used 3M film on razors with great success.

Would these sheets be used for final stropping?
I just noticed that my local Lee Valley carries this product so I'm very interested as well.

I like it and I think it is pretty popular with jig system users.
IMO Silicon Carbide is more aggressive and Aluminum Oxide leaves a smoother finish.
Diamond is the best but costly and harder to find.
Prices can vary a lot, I get mine at toolsforworkingwood.com (no diamond)

Glen

Last edited:
Available in sheets, discs, rolls and belts in grades 125µ, 74µ, 45µ, 30µ, 20µ

I like it and I think it is pretty popular with jig system users.
IMO Silicon Carbide is more aggressive and Aluminum Oxide leaves a smoother finish.
Diamond is the best but costly and harder to find.
Prices can vary a lot, I get mine at toolsforworkingwood.com (no diamond)

Glen

I'm thinking the same thing about SiC in the coarse grits and aluminum oxide in the finer grits. I'd really have to be blown away with this stuff in wear factor to warrant the high cost it comes with.

I've seen these before and thought a lot about getting some. I've seen grits up to 0.3 micron. Isn't this what Gator uses? Maybe it would be worth giving them a try. Never pulled the trigger because I thought leather would work out a bit more economical

I haven't watched this video in a while, but that's what's in this video, isn't it?

[video=youtube;4--HIDogrc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--HIDogrc8[/video]

I haven't watched this video in a while, but that's what's in this video, isn't it?

This video was the first thing that came to mind when this thread came up. But like you I hadn't seen it in ages, and had no clue how to find it. Glad you did.

[video=youtube;4--HIDogrc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--HIDogrc8[/video]

That's not the diamond stuff, that's the standard microfinishing film.

I've yet to come across a stone substitute that doesn't weart out too fast to be worth it. I've kind of given up on the idea, since stones last so long.

How much would these be? I already have an Atoma that is one sided, I could easily add something to the other side of it. Or get a new Atoma style base, add paper to each side, and keep it in my bag for quick touch ups at work.

Well that depends on the grit and backing but for the most part this stuff retails between $19-$39 per sheet. You can buy packs of 3 for less and you can go one step further and buy 50ft rolls for about $1,200 or so. It ain't cheap.

Yipes. 50ft rolls of the 3" wide stuff for $1200? Well, if you were selling sections of it to fit on Atoma sized plates, you could get about 67 pieces out of that roll. Your cost about $18 each piece. But they you have to (A) front the $1200 for a roll of each grit and (B) sell all 67 pieces to make your money back.

And again, how long would they last?

Yipes. 50ft rolls of the 3" wide stuff for $1200? Well, if you were selling sections of it to fit on Atoma sized plates, you could get about 67 pieces out of that roll. Your cost about $18 each piece. But they you have to (A) front the $1200 for a roll of each grit and (B) sell all 67 pieces to make your money back.

And again, how long would they last?

Exactly

But then there's wholesale pricing too.

Back