Sous Vide Sous vide NY Strip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abepaniagua

Reaction score
NY Strip given by a friend to me. Put it on 115F for an hour or so.
Seared on a SS skillet.

F763daJ.jpg

SDd2Kw5.jpg

Looks about right to me. Im going camping this weekend with 12lbs of prime N.Y. strip. I'm going to rig up a sous vide to a generator for dinner. I'll try to take some pics.

Looks about right to me. Im going camping this weekend with 12lbs of prime N.Y. strip. I'm going to rig up a sous vide to a generator for dinner. I'll try to take some pics.

So where are you going camping? I can't remember;). Sounds like my kind of camping. I might just do a cooler version of sv then searing using a cast iron skillet on the embers. We will need photos!

I'm going to a local state park on a last minute invite from some friends (Victoria Bryant State Park for anybody that wants to drop by Saturday evening....seruously). I like to finish straight over hardwood coals and sous vide at 124°F for about 90 minutes.

12 pounds of Prime NY Strip will be delicious as heck. Make sure they are less than 3" if you are putting it for 90min only.

Damn, I'm going to have to try this.

I have a problem with sous vide steak... I like it, but my wife is hard to convince. Her favorite cut is filet mignon (yeah, I know), and she's freaked out by the solid red color out to the edge with sous vide and then pan searing + blowtorch. It doesn't look like the gradient to a red center that she's used to, with normal pan searing or grilling. it tastes wonderful, but the look puts her off.

So maybe I can get away with it on NY strip, a "lesser" steak (in her eyes), when we're not going for the full expensive filet dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

Damn, I'm going to have to try this.

I have a problem with sous vide steak... I like it, but my wife is hard to convince. Her favorite cut is filet mignon (yeah, I know), and she's freaked out by the solid red color out to the edge with sous vide and then pan searing + blowtorch. It doesn't look like the gradient to a red center that she's used to, with normal pan searing or grilling. it tastes wonderful, but the look puts her off.

So maybe I can get away with it on NY strip, a "lesser" steak (in her eyes), when we're not going for the full expensive filet dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

Try 129 for the SV. I have found that to be more acceptable to those who are unsettled by the whole water bath thing.

i think striploin has a better 'steak flavor' than ribeye but it cant overcome the umami bomb that you get from all the fat in a ribeye plus it's better texture. not a fan of tenderloin.

also, +1 on 129F temp. if you want to get more gradient, just sear three times as long over medium heat.

I would avoid a filet mignon on sous vide. It is already too tender, plus it will benefit from a reverse-sear, like the ribeye does. Also, 129F + searing will be 135-140F on the final product. This will be medium, and more acceptable to those who don't like a "bloody" steak lol.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try 129F on a NY strip, and save the filet for SWMBO's preferred pan searing cook. I don't think I'll win that one.

She does like sous vide for chicken breast + pan sear, and loves it for lobster. I've also beaten her recipe for slow oven cooked (not real BBQ) pulled pork, sous vide with an oven finish. She had to admit it was better. So that's progress!

You can (and I would) SV the strips before leaving on trip. Do the bath, ice bath em, then take cold to campsite. Warm them w hot water then unbag and sear. Would beat having to fool with it at campsite and not sure how well circulator would like varying voltages from generator.

Sounds like a ton of fun, enjoy!!

You can (and I would) SV the strips before leaving on trip. Do the bath, ice bath em, then take cold to campsite. Warm them w hot water then unbag and sear. Would beat having to fool with it at campsite and not sure how well circulator would like varying voltages from generator.

Unless you buy/own this Honda: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ND19AE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 this totally kicks butt, is quiet and sips gas. The 1 gal tank will last 10 hours easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m still learning.

Why the huge temp disparity between the OP and the 129deg mention in the following post? I tried 128 once and it was overdone. I did it for a couple of hours. I thought the steak would just hover there at rare. I was wrong.

Not sure how it could be over cooked at 128. Have you used a probe to check the bath temp? I’m usually between 129 and 131 for mine with a sear before bath and seared quickly in a scorching pan 500+ after bath. Never had a result that wasn’t red and juicy. My go to is a nicely marbled ribeye 😘 Panda's advice to sear at lower temp longer to bring the thermal shock line towards the center is solid, especially for guests that don’t understand. Btw op's temp is way to low for me.

I’m still learning.

Why the huge temp disparity between the OP and the 129deg mention in the following post? I tried 128 once and it was overdone. I did it for a couple of hours. I thought the steak would just hover there at rare. I was wrong.

115F for an hour is fine. After 2 hours it isn't safe. I like 115F because I like the meat medium rare. Temperature varies depending on the cut...i would do 125F for a ribeye or ribeye cap, and a bit higher if it is a bigger chunk of meat.

I always sear after sous vide since searing before makes the meat lose more juices (in my experiments, and confirmed by others' experiments).

115F for an hour is fine. After 2 hours it isn't safe. I like 115F because I like the meat medium rare. Temperature varies depending on the cut...i would do 125F for a ribeye or ribeye cap, and a bit higher if it is a bigger chunk of meat.

I always sear after sous vide since searing before makes the meat lose more juices (in my experiments, and confirmed by others' experiments).

A lot of this is problematic information.

First, medium rare is 130-135, not 115. Hell, RARE is 125 if we're going by accepted definitions. I mean, if you want to define things idiosyncratically, that's cool, but it means we're talking different things when we say 'rare', 'medium' and the like.

(https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/kitchen/doneness.php)

Cooking at 115 is risky, though I agree that for an hour your risk is minimal since you're searing the outside where any bacteria would grow. Heck, depending on time, cooking under 130 is risky, depending on time since 130 is where pasteurization starts but I think worrying about 129 vs 131 is taking caution a bit too far.

Second, cut/meat thickness has no relationship to what temperature you use for sous vide. It does imply different minimum times but you use the same temperature regardless of the size of the cut for a given doneness. If you want medium rare (135F), you cook at 135. You may well need to cook a 2" thick cut for longer than a 1" thick cut and, yes, a bone-in cut might take some extra time but the temperature will not vary.

The right/best way to cook steaks SV is, as you say, to sous vide them then sear on a very hot surface for very little time, presuming you want edge to edge doneness.

I’m still learning.

If you found it overdone at 129F (which should be on the rare/med rare boundary) then I can only think of two things that could account for that - 1) Your SV circulator is pretty inaccurate or 2) you cooked at 129 shooting for rare/med rare bit left it too long on each side when searing (i.e. 2+ minutes) so that it overshot the doneness you were looking for. If you searing for 30-60 second per side that should be fine in which case I'd test the circulator against a Thermapen or other instant read thermometer.

Well said, but I will differ on temps - regardless of what I'm sure is / was a valid citation for traditional cooking methods.

129F is my med rare. 131F is what I cook for a crowd and have never had a send back. 138F is what I cook for residents of retirement community to give some pink, still tender.

I do like to go from bath directly to sear and plate. Many a SV steak is ruined by "ice bath" to cool it, then reheat it, then sear it. Poor steak gets confused.

A lot of this is problematic information.

First, medium rare is 130-135, not 115. Hell, RARE is 125 if we're going by accepted definitions. I mean, if you want to define things idiosyncratically, that's cool, but it means we're talking different things when we say 'rare', 'medium' and the like.

It seems I wasn't clear or I've been misunderstood. 115F isn't med rare by itself. I meant after searing. I don't do 130F because after searing it'll be more done than what I like. I like rare-medrare so I cook at 115-120F then sear very hot to get a good crust.

QUOTE=rickg17;557469] Second, cut/meat thickness has no relationship to what temperature you use for sous vide. [/QUOTE]

Did not refer to the doneness of the meat depending on the cut. I was referring to the texture. I wouldn't do 130F for skirt steak, but I would for a ribeye cap. IMO (and for my enjoyment) different cuts are better are different temperature.

That 1115 works for you because your sear is longer than others are doing, I do my NY at between 127-129, and that is a bright red med rare for most then sear at high temp very quickly, if you need a few spots crustier use a torch

I did a 1.5" thick sirloin yesterday. 128F for 1.25 hrs. then a quick wipe and into a hot cast iron skillet. I was perfect with oven fries and a salad.

ACtC-3e5CWcN0iruKQA0IiyWn5fa1m08GcLR6ibTZNeOu4cs8RWzHD7-zsBFy0zzePfpkd0H28p8ufs6ijqzM4m3EuoKlzRz76EHyGLu1pL6B_24KQHdK6xfmrNJcWHjk9x1eUpduOrzW3k78bNn2DdOahFf=w1399-h1049-no

Back