Japanese Knives quick compare at 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
I recently got a few questions on how the thickness of various knives compare and i thought a picture may clear things up a bit...

Here are a few 240mm gyutos side by side:
IMG_4143.JPG

Left is gesshin ginga wa, middle is konosuke HD, and right is gesshin ginga western

That's funny. :lol2: I remember the western being slightly thicker but all those look exactly the same.

The western looks a touch thicker to me towards the spine, by the edge it looks the same as the wa, which seems slightly thinner than the Kono.

it is worth noting that variances from knife to knife can differ by that much... all of the grinding and shaping is done by hand

it is worth noting that variances from knife to knife can differ by that much... all of the grinding and shaping is done by hand

Very true. All of these are very close and probably could be called exactly the same with the margin of "error" that occurs with hand craftsmanship.

The western looks a touch thicker to me towards the spine, by the edge it looks the same as the wa, which seems slightly thinner than the Kono.
I think you're just being disagreeable.

To me it seems that the western tapers more gradually towards the edge compared to the wa, but the wa looks thinner behind the edge.. Or it might be my eyes playing tricks on me after a long day...

Very fun to look at. I noticed that the handle on the Gesshin wa was larger than the Konosuke. Probably more comfortable that way.

its all in little details... the handle is also slightly shorter on the gesshin ginga... less hitting the forearm

this is a fun photo indeed. the shadow/reflection on the gesshin wa- makes it really hard to assess the thickness about halfway between edge and spine. every time i look at it, i come to a different conclusion which has a thinner grind in the middle or at the edge.

Back