Quantcast
Nakiri love
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nakiri love

Nakiri love

I received a Takeda nakiri in trade and have to tell y'all how much I love this knife. It's great for vegetable prep at home and wife-friendly too.

I can hardly put it down!

Totally recommend that you should add one to your kit, if you don't know what to buy next.

Your thoughts?

Boo? Actually, I've been playing with a Shig nakiri I've had for a while. It's growing on me... I also enjoyed a Yoshihiro nakiri in SKD I gave away as a gift a while back.

I like the rustic KU/Takeda look for home use, I love blue super, and I would use a nakiri at home a lot more than at work. Thus, I have always wanted a Takeda nakiri, just to keep at home and use.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

For some meals, where tip work is not required, I really enjoy using a nakiri. Gets the job done and is quick about it. Some prep just calls for a tip, though. Glad to have one, but I wouldn't want the nakiri to be my only knife
    Len

I have one but rarely use mine in favor of a gyuto. I can't see any advantage. But maybe I don't use it correctly? Do you use a nakiri differently or are there special techniques used with one?

-AJ

I have two nakiris and really like both of them when I feel like using something a little bit different. I personally love how laser thin they seem to be.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    No advantage to a nakiri. That said, I think if it was just about the absolute best tool for the job, we'd all have a lot less knives than we do. Sometimes it's just fun to play around with the funky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Boo? Actually, I've been playing with a Shig nakiri I've had for a while. It's growing on me... I also enjoyed a Yoshihiro nakiri in SKD I gave away as a gift a while back.
    I have the same yoshihiro Nakiri and really enjoy it. Call me amateur but I love the steel in that knife.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I have one but rarely use mine in favor of a gyuto. I can't see any advantage. But maybe I don't use it correctly? Do you use a nakiri differently or are there special techniques used with one?

-AJ
    I like the wider blade for scooping veggies into the pot or wok, more convenient that a gyuto in that regard. Also I find the nakiri great for onions and other stuff, where it is advantageous to have a taller blade and more weight behind it.

The best nakiri I've used to date is made by Butch. It's in CPM154 and it holds its edge just as good if not better than AS, gets as sharp as most any other steel I've used, and it doesn't wedge in anything I normally cook. It does stick a bit with potatoes, but not with much else.

+ Reply to Thread