Quantcast
Nakiri love - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nakiri love

Love my Carter nakiri, but have always wanted more Takeda knives I got this one years ago when he still did custom handles on his KU stuff. I've also had my eye on the Fujiwara KU nakiri

I don't use it as much as I'd like as I tend to be cutting a wide veriety of items and find that my nakiri works best on vegies only. Love to make salsa with it

Love my Watanabe Nakiri

Quote Originally Posted by sw2geeks View Post
    Love my Watanabe Nakiri
    Love that picture

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    I received a Takeda nakiri in trade and have to tell y'all how much I love this knife. It's great for vegetable prep at home and wife-friendly too.

I can hardly put it down!

Totally recommend that you should add one to your kit, if you don't know what to buy next.

Your thoughts?
    I have a Takeda too, which I love. It helps it was the second nice knife I got, after my Watanabe petty. Emotional attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I have one but rarely use mine in favor of a gyuto. I can't see any advantage. But maybe I don't use it correctly? Do you use a nakiri differently or are there special techniques used with one?

-AJ
    When I'm looking at a board full of veg that needs chopping, I go for the nakiri. If I'm looking at a board full of stuff that needs slicing, I go for the gyuto. So if I'm setting out to do a rustic soup or a stir-fry, it's usually the knife I'll choose. The added weight and straighter blade makes things a little quicker and easier if all you need to do is break stuff up. I take it over an actual cleaver because it's easier to handle for the occasional finer cut and probably moreso because I have no history or experience with cleavers, so there's little draw. Plus I worry I would cut off a finger. But it fills the role for me that I imagine a cleaver might for others, other than dealing with proteins. I also like that they take up less board real estate than a gyuto does, just because they're a little shorter. This matters to me when I do all the prep for a stir fry in my limited kitchen.

Admittedly, it is a toy. But so is pretty much everything other than a gyuto except for maybe a bread knife.

Put me down as a Takeda fan also. I had a watanabe as well, but preferred the Takeda so off went the watanabe.

I too prefer Takeda's nakiri over Watanabe's. It just feels better to me. I still hang on to the Watanabe because I don't actually dislike it ... there's still room for it around here (or actually, at a totally different location, but it's still all good!)
    Len

One of the most fun knives for me to sharpen is Takeda's nakiri.

+ Reply to Thread