Nakiri love

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnochef

Founding Member
Reaction score
I received a Takeda nakiri in trade and have to tell y'all how much I love this knife. It's great for vegetable prep at home and wife-friendly too.

I can hardly put it down!

Totally recommend that you should add one to your kit, if you don't know what to buy next.

Your thoughts?

Boo? ;) Actually, I've been playing with a Shig nakiri I've had for a while. It's growing on me... I also enjoyed a Yoshihiro nakiri in SKD I gave away as a gift a while back.

I like the rustic KU/Takeda look for home use, I love blue super, and I would use a nakiri at home a lot more than at work. Thus, I have always wanted a Takeda nakiri, just to keep at home and use.

For some meals, where tip work is not required, I really enjoy using a nakiri. Gets the job done and is quick about it. Some prep just calls for a tip, though. Glad to have one, but I wouldn't want the nakiri to be my only knife :)

I have one but rarely use mine in favor of a gyuto. I can't see any advantage. But maybe I don't use it correctly? Do you use a nakiri differently or are there special techniques used with one?

-AJ

I have two nakiris and really like both of them when I feel like using something a little bit different. I personally love how laser thin they seem to be.

No advantage to a nakiri. That said, I think if it was just about the absolute best tool for the job, we'd all have a lot less knives than we do. Sometimes it's just fun to play around with the funky stuff.

Boo? ;) Actually, I've been playing with a Shig nakiri I've had for a while. It's growing on me... I also enjoyed a Yoshihiro nakiri in SKD I gave away as a gift a while back.

I have the same yoshihiro Nakiri and really enjoy it. Call me amateur but I love the steel in that knife.

I have one but rarely use mine in favor of a gyuto. I can't see any advantage. But maybe I don't use it correctly? Do you use a nakiri differently or are there special techniques used with one?

-AJ

I like the wider blade for scooping veggies into the pot or wok, more convenient that a gyuto in that regard. Also I find the nakiri great for onions and other stuff, where it is advantageous to have a taller blade and more weight behind it.

The best nakiri I've used to date is made by Butch. It's in CPM154 and it holds its edge just as good if not better than AS, gets as sharp as most any other steel I've used, and it doesn't wedge in anything I normally cook. It does stick a bit with potatoes, but not with much else.

I have been kickin' myself for selling my Watanabe. Need to replace it with something either a Takeda or Carter

i have a couple Nakiri's, a smaller one ~165 x 50 and a larger one~185 x 60. The larger one is more substantial and I use it a lot more, almost like a small slicing cleaver. I think it is a fun tool to have.

I have a Watanabe Pro (stainless cladded) that both my wife and I love. I've always wanted a Takeda too.

One thing I really appreciate about Naks is sharpening the mostly straight edge - no need to fart around with the curve. Just grind and de-burr. Swee-eet!

kelly loves the tester i have here at the house in XHP im a fan too as not often do i really need a point on a knife (wheni do i use a petty )
i will say tho my naks run a bit (ok more then a bit) longer then most souse as a chef blade is not too mu ch of a stretch

interested in getting me one of those. can anybody recommend one that is super thin?

I have the same yoshihiro Nakiri and really enjoy it. Call me amateur but I love the steel in that knife.
Nah, I thought that steel was VERY nice on that knife. Held an edge a long time. Surprisingly different from any other SKD. It didn't seem to discolor at all during use.

interested in getting me one of those. can anybody recommend one that is super thin?
The Yoshihiro SKD nakiri is much thinner than my Shig, for example. Very nice and thin.

Gave an old Tojiro Nakiri to my parents when I was done with it. Last couple weeks i've been using my CCK a helluva lot so I checked in on the weekend and snuck home with it! Don't tell! I've fallen in love with that shape again!

Thought I would be good with custom gyuto's apparently I need custom nakiri's too!

KochivsCarter3.jpg

Love my Carter nakiri, but have always wanted more Takeda knives :p I got this one years ago when he still did custom handles on his KU stuff. I've also had my eye on the Fujiwara KU nakiri :p

I don't use it as much as I'd like as I tend to be cutting a wide veriety of items and find that my nakiri works best on vegies only. Love to make salsa with it :)

I received a Takeda nakiri in trade and have to tell y'all how much I love this knife. It's great for vegetable prep at home and wife-friendly too.

I can hardly put it down!

Totally recommend that you should add one to your kit, if you don't know what to buy next.

Your thoughts?

I have a Takeda too, which I love. It helps it was the second nice knife I got, after my Watanabe petty. Emotional attachment.

-AJ

When I'm looking at a board full of veg that needs chopping, I go for the nakiri. If I'm looking at a board full of stuff that needs slicing, I go for the gyuto. So if I'm setting out to do a rustic soup or a stir-fry, it's usually the knife I'll choose. The added weight and straighter blade makes things a little quicker and easier if all you need to do is break stuff up. I take it over an actual cleaver because it's easier to handle for the occasional finer cut and probably moreso because I have no history or experience with cleavers, so there's little draw. Plus I worry I would cut off a finger. But it fills the role for me that I imagine a cleaver might for others, other than dealing with proteins. I also like that they take up less board real estate than a gyuto does, just because they're a little shorter. This matters to me when I do all the prep for a stir fry in my limited kitchen.

Admittedly, it is a toy. But so is pretty much everything other than a gyuto except for maybe a bread knife.

Put me down as a Takeda fan also. I had a watanabe as well, but preferred the Takeda so off went the watanabe.

takedavswatanabenakiri007.jpg

I too prefer Takeda's nakiri over Watanabe's. It just feels better to me. I still hang on to the Watanabe because I don't actually dislike it ... there's still room for it around here ;) (or actually, at a totally different location, but it's still all good!)

Back