Media High polish stickiness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TamanegiKin

Reaction score
I was slicing apples for pie today with my KS.
I hadn't used this knife for a month or two since I polished it using micromesh pads. I liked the honyaki knock off look. If only I could fake a hamon hmm.... Anyway, as I cut into the first Apple I noticed how sticky my knife became, I started recording with my phone. It didn't bug me on the right side but on the inside(left side) It's a nuisance. I think I'm going to sand it back down to a lower grit tomorrow. Anyone else have a similar experience after polishing a knife, or is it more of a technique issue?

Can't embedd the video from my phone but here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_sv53CefvQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[video=youtube;8_sv53CefvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=8_sv53CefvQ[/video]

Good tunes. I don't polish any of my knives, so I am of no help to you there.

I think this is a pretty common problem with highly polished knives. I've read loads of times of people spending hours to get a mirror polish then going back to sandpaper as soon as they use the knife because everything sticks to it so bad.

@Johnny, thanks and thanks for fixing the link :beer:

@Steven, yea I thought the feelings were mixed on the high polish, some don't seem to have issues with it while others do. I had to give it a go but it looks like I fall into the latter category.

@Peco, thanks!

Could also be a technique thing I'd try cutting more with the tip area or front 1/3 of the knife and see if that helps. I'll bet a combination of both technique and slightly rougher finish makes a difference for sure.

Can't offer much more than that since I haven't polished a whole blade in awhile and the last one I did (cheap Stainless cleaver) I didn't have stickiness issues with.

I think this is a pretty common problem with highly polished knives. I've read loads of times of people spending hours to get a mirror polish then going back to sandpaper as soon as they use the knife because everything sticks to it so bad.

They are wrong. It's about technique.

"They are wrong. It's about technique. "

I thought it was all about the "grind"....

They are wrong. It's about technique.

My own knives are scratched to hell from thinning, but I have read many times of people spending hours polishing knives to then go back to 2000 grit paper. Care to elaborate, I haven't heard of a way round this before.

"They are wrong. It's about technique. "

I thought it was all about the "grind"....
It's about both. A couple of my knives are basically mirror polished but they rarely have sticking issues due to the grind. I do find that if I use a little pressure to keep an asymmetric blade from steering, food will release much more easily. If I allow the steering to control the blade, I have more sticking.

I don't like a polished face. It shows every little scratch, sticks, and doesn't provide for that cool edge-bevel contrast.

It is about velocity and speed.At the pace you were moving that knife could have been finished with 80 grit and thinly sliced apples are going to stick.

Nice knife, nice ink, nice vid.....music :no:

I'd agree with some of the other guys here, a little technique mod may be in order.

tk...interesting observation about the steering/sticking correlation. I'll have to experiment with that.

Latest posts

Back