source for Keli's sauce in philadelphia? Huli Huli glaze substitute?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mille162

Reaction score
doing a last minute luau themed party this weekend and wanted to do a Huli Huli chicken skewer but can't seem to find Keli's sauce anywhere locally. Anyone know of a local retailer that stocks it (specifically the ginger-garlic teriyaki glaze).

Don't have time to make my own version from scratch, but if you know of another brand that's a close substitution, lmk. Otherwise, I'm thinking Kings Hawaiian Pineapple glaze (avail locally) with some Sriracha and fresh grated ginger to liven it up?

Saw this a little late. How did your Huli Huli chicken go? Like less sugar & more ginger in my sauce. Even a little vinegar is good. One of the things that make Huli Huli chix is turning it over Kiawe wood coals ( Hawaiian Mesquite)

Saw this a little late. How did your Huli Huli chicken go? Like less sugar & more ginger in my sauce. Even a little vinegar is good. One of the things that make Huli Huli chix is turning it over Kiawe wood coals ( Hawaiian Mesquite)

Thanks for the response. I couldn't find the Keli's I wanted, so I took the Hawaii's famous (world market link above), and reduced it a little on the stove top, added some fresh pineapple juice and a bunch of fresh grated ginger. Let that marinate 24hrs. Was still a bit thin so i mixed in some of the Kings Hawaiin BBQ sauce to thicken it enough I could brush some on as they finished up on the grill. Had an unknown wood chip in the clients gas grill so I had to use what was provided and do my best to get a bit of smoke flavor. Also, in the name of efficiency and ease of serving, the chicken was cubed and placed on skewers (3 pieces of white, 2 pieces of dark, 1 cube pineapple) and grilled that way. Taste was really good, everyone raved about it, but it was not what I remember eating beachside! I'll have to get your more authentic recipe and try it this summer on the BGE

Final menu served:
Garden salad with blanched green beans, watermelon radish, vinegar soaked carrots, cherry tomatoes, jicama (couldn't find green papaya anywhere), tossed with a poppy seed pineapple vinaigrette

Steamed rice with a lite sushi vinegar splash and toasted sesame seeds

Huli-Huli style chicken skewers grilled with pineapple

Toasted Teriyaki-Pineapple glazed ham and swiss cheese sliders with a mustard poppyseed glaze (toasted in the oven, the biggest hit of the party!)

Traditional Macaroni salad

Avocado and Mango salad (creamy lemon vinaigrette, jicama, mint, basic, shallots, feta cheese)

Fruit salad (various liquor soaked fruits: pineapple, mango, papaya, starfruit, bananas, coconut shavings, dragon fruit)

Was so busy prepping and serving, forgot to get pics. here's what my girl took pics of: https://www.instagram.com/chefhansen/

Looks good Chef glad they enjoyed it.

The Huli Huli in Hawaii chix is split & cooked between two grills and whole grill rack is turned(Huli) over kiawe coals. That's for massive amounts. With a good marinade & smoked flavor from coals makes for very tasty bird.

You can flip half chix on any grill using coals for same result.

Recipe just go with your personal taste for amounts. Like I said prefer less sugar & more ginger garlic than most recipes.

Ketchup
Low sodium soy sauce
Brown sugar
Fresh Garlic & Ginger root
Sherry Wine vinegar
Worchestershire sauce(love this stuff go easy just a dash)
Sriracha
Lemon juice

You can marinate over night & save some extra to baste the bird while grilling. Little fresh lemon juice also as you grill kicks it up a notch.

Huli chix no flat tops or ovens just over Kiawe or Mesquite coals that's what makes it.

Latest posts

Back