Recommendation Please!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldglory

Reaction score
I am looking to improve the very poor kitchen knives that we have been using in our home kitchen for many years. I have always carried a quality knife and know the differnces between the many types of steels used on everyday carry knives. This knowledge does not seem to carry over to kitchen knives. Embarrasingly enough I don’t even know the answers to many of these basic questions, So I am reaching out to this forum for help.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? A good quality all around blade.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-
Edge Quality/Retention- This is the most important to me
Ease of Use-
Comfort-

What grip do you use? ??

What kind of cutting motion do you use? ??

Where do you store them? In a drawer

Have you ever oiled a handle? No but we would if it was needed.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Synthetic and wood

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Pull through NEVER! Edge Pro Apex and a Strop with the green stuff.

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes

What is your budget? 150

What do you cook and how often? 6-7 times a week. Lots of protein with fresh vegetables.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

I'd go with Ashi or Konosuke stainless 210 or 240 gyuto if you want thin. If you want something a bit more substantial, I'd go with Yoshihiro or possibly a CarboNEXT in the same size. Frankly, I'd go with 240 but most newcomers think a 240 is too long until they use one for a few weeks. I'd also consider calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, too.

Imo, due to price range and edge retention requirements I would go for the Hiromoto AS gyuto.

I think the OP is comparing to what he's used before which makes the edge retention a moot point. Every knife we recommend is going to far outperform what he's using. Second, I find carbon steel (even stainless clad) aren't the greatest match for noobs.

Either a 240 Carbonext or Hiro? They seem to be the popular recommendations for those looking to spend less

Accessories. Board, storage, honing rod, etc. new sharps later. Or you'll need a bigger budget.

I like the Miyabi Fusion (8" or 10", but I prefer the 10"). If you have a Sur La Table near you, you can handle one and check it out in person before you buy.

i dont own either but i would recommend the same as TK from what i hear

ashi hamono for a thinner knife and yoshihiro for a thicker

Hi

Im very new here so please consider this casual advice.

For edge retention the Twin Cermax that i have will take some beating, its a very well made knife for the price and would be ideal for a first high quality knife.

Alan

The Cermax is a nice blade for the price. I don't think it feels great in use. In my hands, most other nice J-knives feel very nimble and responsive, like scalpels, in comparison. I had the handle converted to wa on a Cermax and it is now very nice to use, although I prefer a little less curvature on the edge profile.

I sincerely thank each of you for your knowledgeable recommendations. Your expertise is much appreciated. I was happy to see responces from some of you that I have been following for sometime. Now I will begin my research to make a decision. Any further recommendations will be appreciated.

Good luck! Please be sure to let us know how it all turns out.

Back