D. Martell Damasteel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who'd have me make them a knife out of Damasteel

Anyone interested? Contact me and we'll talk. :spiteful:

You NEED to do one in either the ODIN pattern or their bjornman twist, kindof off topic but why damasteel over devin thomas or randy? Dave are you trying to branch into the hipster crowd?

You NEED to do one in either the ODIN pattern or their bjornman twist, kindof off topic but why damasteel over devin thomas or randy? Dave are you trying to branch into the hipster crowd?

Hipster? LOL That's not something I get called often. :D

So I've used Devin steel once before, and would do so again in a split second, and have nothing against Randy's steel but I've wanted to try Damasteel for years and now with so many people using it I'm getting a big time itch that needs scratching - it's pretty much that simple.

Hipster? LOL That's not something I get called often. :D

So I've used Devin steel once before, and would do so again in a split second, and have nothing against Randy's steel but I've wanted to try Damasteel for years and now with so many people using it I'm getting a big time itch that needs scratching - it's pretty much that simple.

Do it, I still drool over your devin thomas blade, wasn't that made for the forum owner or something, just imagine it Dave Bjornmans twist damascus leading into a beautiful handle combination, Tasmanian black wood main body, either damascus scraps or copper spacers surrounding a thicker musk ox spacer and than a nice piece of buffalo horn as a ferrule, either wa or yo handle, it would be your master piece... if no one jumps on this, I'd be game but you'd have to wait until fall, as you know I'm back in school and sadly can't buy any new knives :sad0: because im living off savings for the next three months :'(

What would be the premium price on top of the normal price?

:eek:vg:

P1010005.JPG

Oh man that is nice. What is the max size gyuto you could make out of that in your normal profile, and could you go larger if you changed your profile by lowering the heel height?. Or could you get a petty and a 210 out of it? It would be great if you posted progress photos:biggrin: .

Oh man that is nice. What is the max size gyuto you could make out of that in your normal profile, and could you go larger if you changed your profile by lowering the heel height?. Or could you get a petty and a 210 out of it? It would be great if you posted progress photos:biggrin: .

I'm having trouble sourcing it in a width greater than 50mm (2") which limits greatly what I can use it for. The knife being made out of this billet is a 210mm santoku that's 50mm tall (at the heel) per customer request. Just to fit this was a challenge, no wiggle room at all. Sujihikis would be a perfect match for this size billet. And nope on getting a petty out of the same billet, it would need to be longer for that.

Here's the blank of the knife being made, all cut out and ready for heat treat. It's a "rocking santoku" patterned (exactly) from a Miyabi, just expanded in all dimensions.....

P1010002.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010011.JPG

I think one can get wider stock, but probably only directly from Sweden. Ask Robin - he has used quite a few knives from Damasteel.

damn these are all nice, I like the draupnir. What is the HRC on these?

Can you imagine such a thing?!? You would be my best friend forever. :D

Don’t even have to imagine anymore.. I saw it
I’ll have those Swedes make a nice one.. lol hell we’ll fly over and watch just gotta get the numbers right, that’s all :D
I try and that’s all a feller can do.. but if
Then it’s bff's

damn these are all nice, I like the draupnir. What is the HRC on these?

The two components yield different hardness at any given HT. The highest recommended gives about 64 for the RWL34 and 60 or 61 for the PMC27 (razor steel similar to AEB-L)

I am glad you like it. I find it really nice to work with (though I have way too little experience with etching it). I find the cleanness and lack of any defects really nice. Did you manage to get the width of the stock you need?

Back