Usuba kamagata sharpening near the tip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodworkcan

Reaction score
Hey KKF,

I have another Usuba Kamagata to restore and been wondering how to best preserve the knife geometry.

Its the second of two that exhibits a low spot near the tip when pressure is applied close to the edge. In the pics, its a shinier half-circle area below the shinogi.
At this stage, I am using the 1000 grit stone.

Should I force it flat with the adjacent surface?
Should I ignore it for now and take care with powder or finger stones later in the process?
Pls have a look at the pics.

Before you tell me to flatten my stone...I am confirming it is already pretty flat, using an Atoma.

40460685475_720a8d8659_z.jpg
[/url]20180329_233425 by Martin Tremblay, on Flickr[/IMG]

26484965067_eafbc4491a_z.jpg
[/url]20180329_233418 by Martin Tremblay, on Flickr[/IMG]

seeing the size of the burr I guess you‘ve been sharpening extensively.

If the knife works correctly for you without sharp shinogi line, you can let it like this to extand its life.
If you want sharpest shinogi you have to sharpen further with your atoma, diagonal to the axis of the edge and then almost parrallel with your 1000 stone.

seeing the size of the burr I guess you‘ve been sharpening extensively.

If the knife works correctly for you without sharp shinogi line, you can let it like this to extand its life.
If you want sharpest shinogi you have to sharpen further with your atoma, diagonal to the axis of the edge and then almost parrallel with your 1000 stone.

That is very helpful, I was looking for that kind of advice.

BTW I bought the knife used on Japan auctions. I did not raise a burr yet up to the edge, perhaps you are referring to the blade path? I spent only 10 minutes so far with a 1000 stone. It's probable the previous owner has sharpened the knife many times. It's possibly a restaurant knife because there was a Kanji on the handle and also red marking on the butt.

Back