Good Stone Brands?!?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
So I bought a king double 1000/6000 and have been wearing it down and want to get some new ones in the next month or so. The only ones that I have found that seem really good without spending hundreds--and even these I don't know the brands of--but the only brand I found was the Korin brand whetstones, they're about $50. they have a 1000, 1200, 2000, 6000, and 8000. I sharpen my knives--because I use them for work-- about twice a week. So I was wondering if I should get a 2000, or maybe just go with a 1200. and then a 6000 for the fine. What do you all think? And what are some Good brands that I could look into? Not just the average King, etc... I appreciate the help.

I also have a Naniwa 220 Flattening stone and Nagura 220.

Also I do Not want two sided stones. I find them to be more trouble especially if your sharpen regularly...

the King Hyper 1k (standard not soft) is totally different from the regular line, good stone at a good price. Very fast, nice feedback, even nice finish. Dishes much less than the regular king crap but still does. The Watanabe 1k is harder and even faster but shipping puts it in a different price category. Get an atoma 140 or dmt extra coarse for proper flattening.

Anything is possible. You could get some pretty good stuff $50-60 for mid and finisher grit or pay $10-20 more per stone for nicer stuff. Or pay much more too.

It sort of depends on location; some brands are cheaper (or easier to find) in the US while some are cheaper in Europe.
For a budget solution the old recommendation used to be 'Imanishi Bester 1200 + Suehiro Rika 5000'. I don't think those stones have started to suck overnight...

And honestly a lot of good stone can be had for relatively little when one shops around. For example I absolutely love my Arashiyama 6000, which can be found relatively cheaply if one's willing to look. Love it more than my Naniwa Pro 5000 which is sold for more than twice as much money.... so price isn't necessarily the best indicator.

Don't throw more money into the Naniwa flattening stones (I made that mistake too); go diamond for flattening. The flatteners will clog and glo slow, and eventually might need flattening themselves.

the King Hyper 1k (standard not soft) is totally different from the regular line, good stone at a good price. Very fast, nice feedback, even nice finish. Dishes much less than the regular king crap but still does. The Watanabe 1k is harder and even faster but shipping puts it in a different price category. Get an atoma 140 or dmt extra coarse for proper flattening.

Are the Gesshin stones out of your price range? $75 each for the 1200 and 6000.

Anything is possible. You could get some pretty good stuff $50-60 for mid and finisher grit or pay $10-20 more per stone for nicer stuff. Or pay much more too.

It sort of depends on location; some brands are cheaper (or easier to find) in the US while some are cheaper in Europe.
For a budget solution the old recommendation used to be 'Imanishi Bester 1200 + Suehiro Rika 5000'. I don't think those stones have started to suck overnight...

And honestly a lot of good stone can be had for relatively little when one shops around. For example I absolutely love my Arashiyama 6000, which can be found relatively cheaply if one's willing to look. Love it more than my Naniwa Pro 5000 which is sold for more than twice as much money.... so price isn't necessarily the best indicator.

Don't throw more money into the Naniwa flattening stones (I made that mistake too); go diamond for flattening. The flatteners will clog and glo slow, and eventually might need flattening themselves.

Yeah I’m down to pay a little extra if it’s really worth it..?
And I definitely shop around and usually scour ebay to find cheap deals. Arashiyama ive heard of that one...
I was going to go for the diamond but couldn’t find any really without spending like $200. On eBay they were all really thin and small, I didn’t know if they would really work.
Thanks everyone for all your responses I can’t wait to check out the recommendations!

Brands alone, well loads of them are good.

King, Imanishi, Suehiro, Naniwa, Shapton, Sigma etc. Then your house brands from JKI (Gesshin), Korin (Mizuyama), JNS (Matukusuyama), Watanabe (AI) etc are also good. Beyond that you have to look at lines. King Delux stones work fine, regardless of what some people say, but that does not mean that they are 'great stones'. Better are, as already mentioned, the Hyper stones but these are harder to find and normally have higher shipping cost. Similar to the Watanabe AI stones, which remind me of Shapton M15 stones. They are good but costly when shipping is included and I find that the Shapton Pro 1k/2k stones work as a fair facsimile. Speaking of shapton you have the Pro stones (Ha No Kuromaku), Glass, M5, M15 and M24 stones. (I like the first two series best.) Naniwa offers tons of lines but the two most common will be the Super Stones (Sharpening Series) and the Chosera (Professional Stones) and of the two most prefer the harder/faster Chosera stones. Suehiro and Imanishi offer tons of stones under different lines and some are good, some great and some suck. Etc etc etc.

So, stone brands and stones series that are good are plentiful! My suggestions is to find one of the respected dealers in your region and see what they have then go from there. You want simple utility that works every time? Everything else be damned? Shapton. You want the same but are willing to spend more and gain a wee bit of feedback, Chosera. You want subtle nuances then you can go with the Suehiro and or Imanishi stones and hunt down the particular stones for each of your needs. You want the same thing with more comfort and customer support? Gesshin or Matukusuyam stones are the way to go. Or as others have mentioned, you want functional stones that do all kinds of neat things and will drag you into an endless rabbit hole then go for naturals. I might hold off on this one if I were you though!

It can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. As cheap or expensive as you can afford. Call/email a local vendor, explain what you want to do with your stones and what advantages you would like to have and go from there. Jon and Max, in my experience are the best about this sort of thing but Mr. Watanabe is super helpful too!

Good luck!

Brands alone, well loads of them are good.

King, Imanishi, Suehiro, Naniwa, Shapton, Sigma etc. Then your house brands from JKI (Gesshin), Korin (Mizuyama), JNS (Matukusuyama), Watanabe (AI) etc are also good. Beyond that you have to look at lines. King Delux stones work fine, regardless of what some people say, but that does not mean that they are 'great stones'. Better are, as already mentioned, the Hyper stones but these are harder to find and normally have higher shipping cost. Similar to the Watanabe AI stones, which remind me of Shapton M15 stones. They are good but costly when shipping is included and I find that the Shapton Pro 1k/2k stones work as a fair facsimile. Speaking of shapton you have the Pro stones (Ha No Kuromaku), Glass, M5, M15 and M24 stones. (I like the first two series best.) Naniwa offers tons of lines but the two most common will be the Super Stones (Sharpening Series) and the Chosera (Professional Stones) and of the two most prefer the harder/faster Chosera stones. Suehiro and Imanishi offer tons of stones under different lines and some are good, some great and some suck. Etc etc etc.

So, stone brands and stones series that are good are plentiful! My suggestions is to find one of the respected dealers in your region and see what they have then go from there. You want simple utility that works every time? Everything else be damned? Shapton. You want the same but are willing to spend more and gain a wee bit of feedback, Chosera. You want subtle nuances then you can go with the Suehiro and or Imanishi stones and hunt down the particular stones for each of your needs. You want the same thing with more comfort and customer support? Gesshin or Matukusuyam stones are the way to go. Or as others have mentioned, you want functional stones that do all kinds of neat things and will drag you into an endless rabbit hole then go for naturals. I might hold off on this one if I were you though!

It can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. As cheap or expensive as you can afford. Call/email a local vendor, explain what you want to do with your stones and what advantages you would like to have and go from there. Jon and Max, in my experience are the best about this sort of thing but Mr. Watanabe is super helpful too!

Good luck!

Awesome! I really appreciate the help! I found some hypers on eBay for $65... I don’t think there’s a local dealer around me, I’m in southeastern NC, maybe Raleigh. Should I go for 1k or 2k if I’m sharpening twice a week? I can’t wait to check out all these brands. What series are best from suehiro and iminishi?

Honestly, as long as it's not some weird "natural" stone from China you're probably good to go with any brand K813zra listed.

Awesome! I really appreciate the help! I found some hypers on eBay for $65... I don’t think there’s a local dealer around me, I’m in southeastern NC, maybe Raleigh. Should I go for 1k or 2k if I’m sharpening twice a week? I can’t wait to check out all these brands. What series are best from suehiro and iminishi?

I've never used the 2K, only the 1K standard hardness Hyper.

Personally i would recomennd the following setup, wich is what i use 95% of the time nowadays:

Shapton Pro 1000 (=watanabe AI1000)
Kitayama 8000

Atoma 400 as flattening stone

Personally i would recomennd the following setup, wich is what i use 95% of the time nowadays:

Kitayama 8000

I use that setup a lot too.

Kitayama 8000

Isn’t Shapton Pro ceramic?

Kitayama 8000

You go directly from 1000 to 8000 grit?

It depends on the job, but for a few reasons I prefer have something in the middle 3000-5000 or even to stop at that point.

You go directly from 1000 to 8000 grit?

It depends on the job, but for a few reasons I prefer have something in the middle 3000-5000 or even to stop at that point.

Going directly from 1k to 8k without spending too much time on the 8k seems to leave a fair amount of bite in the edge similar to what one would get by fully working out their 4-6k stone. Or at least that has been my experience, an aggressive edge. Now, if you add something like a 2-5k as you suggest I find the edge very, very refined which I personally don't like for most tasks in my home kitchen.

Anyway, that is just me. Though a fair few people seem to like the 1k/8k in this particular case.

Honestly, if I am not throwing a lazy edge on I normally go 1k-2k shapton pro to an aoto and stop there. If I want a wee bit more refinement I might move on to a Yaginosihma Asagi or a Takashima. :) I prefer this because it allows for the refinement of a 8k(ish) stone with the bite of a 3-5k stone. Ymmv.

Going directly from 1k to 8k without spending too much time on the 8k seems to leave a fair amount of bite in the edge similar to what one would get by fully working out their 4-6k stone. Or at least that has been my experience, an aggressive edge. Now, if you add something like a 2-5k as you suggest I find the edge very, very refined which I personally don't like for most tasks in my home kitchen.

Anyway, that is just me. Though a fair few people seem to like the 1k/8k in this particular case.

Honestly, if I am not throwing a lazy edge on I normally go 1k-2k shapton pro to an aoto and stop there. If I want a wee bit more refinement I might move on to a Yaginosihma Asagi or a Takashima. :) I prefer this because it allows for the refinement of a 8k(ish) stone with the bite of a 3-5k stone. Ymmv.

From what I understand, you will leave the larger "teeth" formed by the 1000 grit, and smooth out only the highest "peaks" with the 8000. Now I get it. Thanks for clarifying your technique.

From what I understand, you will leave the larger "teeth" formed by the 1000 grit, and smooth out only the highest "peaks" with the 8000. Now I get it. Thanks for clarifying your technique.

No problem, that sounds about right.

Not sure if its been mentioned but the Chosera 800
is same price range as King Hyper 1k ($63 delivered)

splash and go and cuts everything with
well regarded feedback and stays flat.

Also a wide range stone that is as fine
as most 1-1.2k stones.

Is going from 1k to 6k too much? Or should there be an in between? Like should I get a 1 or 2k, 4K, and 8k?

Is going from 1k to 6k too much? Or should there be an in between? Like should I get a 1 or 2k, 4K, and 8k?

Side not first: HRC_64 is right, the Cho 800 is a wicked badass stone.

I don't find the 1-6k jump too much at all. Some people do though. I really depends on you and what you like. The good thing is that you can get a 1k and a 6k or a 1k and an 8k and add a 2, 3, 4 or 5k later if you want. :)

Side not first: HRC_64 is right, the Cho 800 is a wicked badass stone.

I don't find the 1-6k jump too much at all. Some people do though. I really depends on you and what you like. The good thing is that you can get a 1k and a 6k or a 1k and an 8k and add a 2, 3, 4 or 5k later if you want. :)
haha nice i'll have to check it out. what exactly is the difference though when using a 3 or 4K in between 1 & 6/8K?

IMO whether the jump is too large depends a bit on how easy a steel is to sharpen. On more annoying steels like VG-10 I found it to be helpful to put the 3k in between my 1k and 6k. On easy carbons or semi-stainless I don't bother; it still goes fast on a 6k anyway.

IMO whether the jump is too large depends a bit on how easy a steel is to sharpen. On more annoying steels like VG-10 I found it to be helpful to put the 3k in between my 1k and 6k. On easy carbons or semi-stainless I don't bother; it still goes fast on a 6k anyway.
ohh okay, so it makes it easier on certain steels. I do know I sharpened a couple guys Wustof Pros from work, and they were a real paint to get an edge on them; same with that cheap carbon yanagabi I got (that has No uroashi) it took me Forever to remove the manufactured wedge bevel and make the shinogi (I think) line all the way down to the edge.

I was looking around, and is it really worth it that much to buy a $70 stone? what's so bad about getting a $20-30 stone? Like the King Deluxes? or some of the suehiro's? and what's so big about ceramic? I think I like the mud creators. but again I don't much at all... that's why im asking

Back