Kaeru!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattador

Reaction score
I just saw that there’s a new line of knives being added on JNS called Kaeru. Figured I could start a tread on it to build up hype lol. Probably to replace the itinonmonn line?

How about he tells us a little bit about the knives for a change rather than mystique and cryptic blurbless Instagram posts.

How about he tells us a little bit about the knives for a change rather than mystique and cryptic blurbless Instagram posts.

Why bother. Most people will blindly buy whatever he's selling anyway... He could package and sell Japanese dogpoop and people would still go nuts over it.

hahaha.... japanesenaturalpoop.com

i would laugh my ass off... it gives a whole new meaning to working with mud on your stones :p

But people continue to buy from maksim because he sells things he likes and believes in... its not a bad way to do business

Nice with all the love and respect in this thread!

Lars

Well sorry, not trying to be disrespectful here. Just observing the limitless enthusiasm and "shut up and take my money"-attitude a lot of people have here.
I understand that it might be rightly deserved by delivering good product, but I just find it kind of funny how many people will just blindly hype and buy stuff even when there isn't much info provided or regardless of pricepoint.

It's not so much the fault of him as it is the fault of his customers. :) I think it's healthier for markets if customers always maintain at least some healthy scepticism and critical attitude, instead of just blind-hyping everything. Some outsiders occasionally frown at KKF for that reason...

Yeah well, some people will believe anything they read on a forum ;-)

For me, the reason I like to recommend Maksim as a vendor is simply that in my experience he only deals good quality products and offers great service.

Just my opinion, of course..

Lars

I’ve never gotten anything from Maxim (or Jon or James) that I wasn’t completely satisfied with, whether there was a lot of forum chatter on the product beforehand or not. The same can’t necessarily be said about every vendor out there or every heavily discussed item.

I'm not knocking the quality of his product. But especially Maxim does tend to be rather spartan and cryptic in his descriptions and explanations of his product.
The issue here is that every knife, even good ones, has to make certain compromises in its design, and this can still lead to big differences between knives that everyone agrees on are 'good, just different'.
The tendency of 'the public' to simply hype things doesn't always help in making these differences obvious to people pre-purchase. The fact that a knife is great doesn't mean it's great for everyone.

Trust...I trust Maxim like I trust Jon and James. They all tend to work with makers that know what they're doing, they do follow-up qc and most importantly stand by their products. None are what I'd call cheap but the value truly exceeds the costs charged.

As to product descriptions, I tend to trust kkf members for this and with all these vendors, their knives are being reviewed almost as soon as released.

Need to buy that domain :D
There is unfortunately not that many vendors that stand 100 % behind they products, there is still some and i love people that support them and me
The reason we have little info about our stuff so we keep those small vendors alive. If i do not sell my products i am 100 % wiling to keep them all and use them for my self :p that have been my business plan all along, thats why i dont mind if people criticize me or my products.

hahaha.... japanesenaturalpoop.com

i would laugh my ass off... it gives a whole new meaning to working with mud on your stones :p

But people continue to buy from maksim because he sells things he likes and believes in... its not a bad way to do business

Ohhh and BTW hype or not hype, i think maybe over 80 % what i sell is outside this forum :p Never field the difference if it was on the forum or not ! There is other platforms as well :)

Oh I'm not knocking your product. It's just that I feel like you could sometimes do a better job of illustrating their specifics and differences.
I'm not doubting the quality or your service; people's happyness and loyalty speaks for itself. But that 'universal appraisal' isn't always helpful in deciding between different knives before purchase, or whether something suits a specific user.

I know Maxim, Jon and James are all great and reliable vendors (and personally I've also had great experiences with Koki), but not all of us can afford to buy every single on of their knives just to find the one that's most fitting. :p
If you have enough loyal customers with blind trust regardless... more power to you. :)

If you have enough loyal customers with blind trust regardless... more power to you. :)
I am guilty of buying a 'mystery carbon' knife from Devin Thomas; no question I can have 'blind trust' at times.

'course the knife is a great performer, so I did not get burned :bliss:

Need to buy that domain :D
There is unfortunately not that many vendors that stand 100 % behind they products, there is still some and i love people that support them and me
The reason we have little info about our stuff so we keep those small vendors alive. If i do not sell my products i am 100 % wiling to keep them all and use them for my self :p that have been my business plan all along, thats why i dont mind if people criticize me or my products.

Yeah it's easy just to block people for no reason :rofl2:

Well sorry, not trying to be disrespectful here. Just observing the limitless enthusiasm and "shut up and take my money"-attitude a lot of people have here.
I understand that it might be rightly deserved by delivering good product, but I just find it kind of funny how many people will just blindly hype and buy stuff even when there isn't much info provided or regardless of pricepoint.

It's not so much the fault of him as it is the fault of his customers. :) I think it's healthier for markets if customers always maintain at least some healthy scepticism and critical attitude, instead of just blind-hyping everything. Some outsiders occasionally frown at KKF for that reason...

Yeah, I mean the OP did kinda phrase the opening of this thread in a cheesy way. Blatantly making a hype thread for a knife we haven’t seen photos of or know much info about, but it sounds like maybe he’s just making a joke?

I'm hoping OP was being 'ironic' too ... ;)

Kaeru Kasumi Stainless

Prices are up, but no photos. Cheaper than the Itinomonns. The price difference between the 210 and 240 gyutos is considerable.

I like the profile too. These look single bevel though, or at least very much wide bevel. I am sure we will know more soon.

I've only bought three knives from Maxim—a Kato, a lefty Shig yanagiba, and a Mazaki, all very good knives I'm unlikely to let go.

Hype, anticipation, irrational need of another knife has a way of sucking me in, even without knowing anything about the Kaeru. The lowish price, and teaser on his instagram is tempting me, even though I don't have a real need for a stainless!

I want one with a custom green handle and saya, frule shaped like a crown, and I will name him "the Kermit", but then if I get that I need a CCK with pink handle named "Miss Piggy'

Man, kaeru look cool. Y’all should probably go back to the mazaki thread-nothing to see here. Just some boring old stainless knives with a core steel no one has ever heard of. Profile looks real unoriginal too.
#jnspoop

Back