Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Kaeru!

I used 600 grit wet sandpaper followed by a polish with fine steel wool. I rounded the spine and choil a little more too. Took me about 20min.

I'm sure I could feel a bit of drag from the blasted satin finish. Quite noticeable when halving onions.

That looks good Sleep. The tesshu petties from aframes have that stupid faux bevel as well ... first thing to go

Quote Originally Posted by niwaki-boy View Post
    That looks good Sleep. The tesshu petties from aframes have that stupid faux bevel as well ... first thing to go
    Yep. Same cost cutting measures are in place too.

That does look way better. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know whether all the 210s have the bigger/wider tang that goes into the handle. I kinda like the way the 240 looks on the website but i am eyeing a 210.

Yep, 210 has nice large emoto, not sure how deep the tang goes though, it also offers hidden mache too, which I like.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleep View Post
    I used 600 grit wet sandpaper followed by a polish with fine steel wool. I rounded the spine and choil a little more too. Took me about 20min.

I'm sure I could feel a bit of drag from the blasted satin finish. Quite noticeable when halving onions.
    Is there any difference at food release with that new finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonsku38 View Post
    Is there any difference at food release with that new finish?
    Hard to say as I haven't used it much since refinishing. We're having a quiet week while our kitchen gets refurbished. This morning I cut 15kg of potatoes for gratin (I hate mandolines!) and food release was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleep View Post
    Hard to say as I haven't used it much since refinishing. We're having a quiet week while our kitchen gets refurbished. This morning I cut 15kg of potatoes for gratin (I hate mandolines!) and food release was brilliant.
    I had to try it too. Just 5 minutes with sandpaper and it already looks ten times better.

you're nuts, slicing potato for gratin is one of the few tasks i actually do use mandoline or hobart slicing machine for big batches.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    you're nuts, slicing potato for gratin is one of the few tasks i actually do use mandoline or hobart slicing machine for big batches.
    I'll use a mandolin for chips, but other than that I avoid them.