The most bulletproof stainless steels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbyrd

Reaction score
Imagine that you're going to be stuck on a fishing boat out to sea for a couple months, and you're wondering what knives to bring along. It's going to be salty. It's going to be steamy. It's going to be hell on your steel. Unless you've got some fancy steel that doesn't care how much salt and sweat and steam and fish guts it gets covered in. I've seen a few super-stainless steels (like H1 and LC200n) that appear to be damn near rustproof, but their use seems mainly restricted to folding knives and "outdoorsy" knives rather than kitchen knives. What are the least reactive/most corrosion-resistant steels that actually get used to make kitchen knives?

I have very good experience with Akifusa in SRS-15 powdered metallurgical (PM) stainless steel. It is completely stainless for me. Last year I did a week of yachting and no issue (but it was dry hot summer weather ;)).

Secondly also my Ryusen in SG2 stainless PM steel is the same.

I can also say that for my Miyabi which is in ZDP-189.

I would not hesitate taking them to the boat for longer periods of time.

I have very good experience with Akifusa in SRS-15 powdered metallurgical (PM) stainless steel. It is completely stainless for me. Last year I did a week of yachting and no issue (but it was dry hot summer weather ;)).

Secondly also my Ryusen in SG2 stainless PM steel is the same.

I can also say that for my Miyabi which is in ZDP-189.

I would not hesitate taking them to the boat for longer periods of time.

I have some pitting in my ZDP steel miyabi. Not sure if it's from acid or salt though.

In general (i.e., not specific to knives, but to construction materials), salt will pit stainless steel vs cause rust. There are many variables due to specific components though. But overall the trade-off may be rust vs pitting. So maybe consider the cleaning and storage strategy when the knife is not in use.

I've owned boats and lived aboard in hot/saltwater environments. It was years ago, but the basics haven't changed much. My perspective would be to consider galley knives as basically disposable. Or at least not a long-term investment.

I'd probably stock up with lower-priced Wusthof or Victorinox stainless knives if doing it from scratch. Maybe one skinning/filet knife in carbon if I was doing a lot of fishing, for ease of sharpening. I'd oil that one between use to hold off rust. The rest would be soft/German stainless for easy maintenance and reasonable corrosion resistance.

I'm not sure how my fancier stainless knives in HAP40 or R2 would hold up, but unless we're talking high-end yacht galley with air conditioning and all the amenities, I wouldn't bring expensive knives like that on a boat. All my prior experience around boat life has been fairly downscale, not the "yacht" category.
:)

Both M390 and Elmax, which are Bohler particle metal stainless will do very well in a salt water environment. You will have to go to a custom knife maker, though, because I am not aware of any production kitchen cutlery companies who use it.

I have some pitting in my ZDP steel miyabi. Not sure if it's from acid or salt though.

Yeah...ZDP is not that corrosion resistant.
CPM S35VN is a much better steel for that.
North Arm knives in Canada make a line of kitchen knives in CPM S35VN with G10 handles which would work.
https://northarmknives.com/product-category/kitchen-knives/

Personally, I keep a set of Globals on my yacht...don't trust the servants with anything fancier....

Silly idea... but you could consider ceramic and using diamond stones to sharpen them? Dunno if someone ever tried it?

Personally, I keep a set of Globals on my yacht...don't trust the servants with anything fancier....
You are a harsh boss. A true Leader would train and educate his service staff so they will be continue to grow in knowledge, as well as in desire to provide good service to you. On my biggest yacht, each servant has his/ her own custom Kramer. Admittedly, only the top 8 of the servants got full chef knives or carvers though; the other 28 received pettys and parers. But with my employee incentive program, I give them full credit towards a bigger knife as they progress through the ranks. And heck, even on my small 45-foot-runabout, the crew are trusted with HHHs.

BTW, do you have any Grey Poupon?

Add me to the list for pitting / rust spots on zdp189, albeit very minor. I got mine after washing/rinsing and allowing to air dry for a bit of time before drying with a towel

Imagine that you're going to be stuck on a fishing boat out to sea for a couple months, and you're wondering what knives to bring along.
I don't feel like cutting anything up, I think I'm going to be sick again.

My mom has this butter knife i dont know what its called but its the butter knife set has been in home for maybe 2 decades, those knives are used everyday and they are amazing with no rust nothing, they are polished in gold color but with time they have gone a bit dull in color but the steel is perfect as new. ill share picture once i click it. take that with you :)

Boar - which Grey Poupon would you prefer, the original or stone ground. We have both. We keep them in Irish Crystal jars because the salt air kept pitting the lids. The maker refused to put 316 SS lids on the jars.

Zwilling's Cronidur 30 is the same alloy as LC200N/N360, although I don't know that they're still producing any of the lines that use it.

The Spanish brand Arcos uses the mysterious "Nitrum steel". They claim ~55 HRC, so I'd guess it's Bohler N680. They're very inexpensive and a good value for that type of knife—I have a jamón slicer and a cleaver of theirs and am happy with both.

There are some very inexpensive Cuisinart-branded knives claiming to use a nitrogen alloy.

There are quite a few 14C28N knives out there.

There are some knives available in BD1N but the makers' reputations are perhaps…tarnished*. Carpenter claims that BD1N has corrosion resistance similar to 410-grade stainless.

Arcos also makes a line of titanium-bladed kitchen knives that aren't too expensive (relative to other titanium knives). Ceramic might not be the worst idea, either—just bring a few back-ups. If you're going to attempt to sharpen either, a resin-bonded diamond stone (Naniwa, King, Venev, "DMD", etc.) is probably a good idea.

*They all seem to have "x" in their names, but I assume they're considered dirty words on this forum, e.g. Artife-, Ya-ell, Ne-us.

Boar - which Grey Poupon would you prefer, the original or stone ground. We have both. We keep them in Irish Crystal jars because the salt air kept pitting the lids. The maker refused to put 316 SS lids on the jars.
Original, please. The stone ground is a bit to pretentious in my opinion. And a cork lid should do the trick. :beer:

Back