Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of a quality workhorse stone (or two)

I appreciate hearing about options like the JKI diamond plates. Though they're a bit more expensive than I was looking to spend, they look like great values for the money. I wonder how they compare to the Shapton glass, which are a bit cheaper per stone. I'm sure they're more durable, being diamond. But would I be better served by getting a range of grits in glass versus the two in diamond?

Administrator
    A Google search on the plates will find them described as "game changers". Sharpton has their fans but.....8

Older and wider..

I am jumping in to echo... the JKI diamond plates are well worth the investment. Splash and go, cut fairly quick, require hardly any maintenance and leave you with an excellent edge. Oh and they are not messy/muddy at all. Once I got this set I stopped perma soaking my other stones. I still use my soakers from time to time since they feel a bit nicer while grinding away but I don't think they leave as good of an edge.

JKI diamond plates are awesome and work better than almost all the stones i tried on high quality, hard to sharpen steels.

Just want to clarify that by "better" i mean faster.

While I'm still taking a hard look at the JKI diamond stones, I ordered a 1K Shapton glass stone to test the waters and see how I like the feel of it. For only $65 or so, I couldn't resist an audition. I'm thinking of getting a range of lower grit shaptons (500, 1k, 3 or 4k) and maybe picking up a nicer mid-fine finishing stone (like perhaps the JKI 6k) to round things out. The Shaptons are inexpensive-ish at the lower end of the grit range, but they seem like less of a value at higher grits.

Quote Originally Posted by btbyrd View Post
    While I'm still taking a hard look at the JKI diamond stones, I ordered a 1K Shapton glass stone to test the waters and see how I like the feel of it. For only $65 or so, I couldn't resist an audition. I'm thinking of getting a range of lower grit shaptons (500, 1k, 3 or 4k) and maybe picking up a nicer mid-fine finishing stone (like perhaps the JKI 6k) to round things out. The Shaptons are inexpensive-ish at the lower end of the grit range, but they seem like less of a value at higher grits.
    When it comes to SG stones I think the 500 and 3k are the standouts. To me they are the two in the series that have the best feel in use and easiest to read feedback. ymmv
    -Kit

Administrator
    Going in with a Sharpton is analogous to buying a Food Saver as your first vacuum sealer. Yes they work, and some work well but you're going to go for a mid range strip sealer soon and then end up with a chamber sealer. And then wonder why you didn't start there in the first place.
    Older and wider..

Idk, 34 natural stones in (yeah, I ordered another one) and dozens of synthetics and I still love my shapton pro 2k. Probably one of my favorite stones of all time. Maybe that makes me a masochist or something.
    -Kit

Quote Originally Posted by K813zra View Post
    Idk, 34 natural stones in (yeah, I ordered another one) and dozens of synthetics and I still love my shapton pro 2k. Probably one of my favorite stones of all time. Maybe that makes me a masochist or something.
    Which knives are you using all those stones for?